Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Tenderloin Help

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
All,[p]I have a six pound beef tenderloin that I just picked up from Costco. I was thinking about doing it direct at around 450 until it hits 150 degrees. Anyone have any other suggestions? All advice is greatly appreciated, as it would be a shame to overcook a nice piece of meat like this!

Comments

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    TJP,
    If you cook it to 150 it will be well, well done. It will have no pink or red and will be dry. I suggest 130/135 and let rest for 10/15 minutes to allow the meat juices to redistribute. The temp will rise 5 to 10 degrees during the rest period. Good luck, Tom

• Bajatom,[p]I pull mine @ 130F, double wrap and rest...[p]~ B[p]
  • Thanks Guys. 150 would have been a very disappointing and costly mistake.

• Scott
    Scott Posts: 47
    Options
    TJP,[p]Ahhhhh! your gonna kill it!!! Sorry, I get a little excited when it comes to anything steak. Try a direct lava sear at 650 to 700 degrees rolling the tenderloin across the grill so all sides are seared, about 1 minute per section. Take off of the grill and let it sit for 20 minutes while you bring your egg down to 300 degree dome temp. Throw in a couple of soaked mesquite or hickory chunks, then throw the tenderloin back on and let it roast, turning periodically until you hit an internal temp of about 125 to 128 for a perfect medium rare, make sure you let the loin sit for 5 to 10 minutes before slicing so the juices can distribute. You can also do an indirect roast so you won't need to turn it. Hope that helps

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Scott,
    are you the real Scott? That is..Scott Frazee who is attributed to the mustard steak technique introduced to this BGE back in 2000? If so welcome back you've been gone too long! OTOH if you're not THAT Scott, then please choose a new moniker as that name has been taken. If you're a newbie Scott and don't know what I mean just click on the name Scott next to your post. No harm - no foul, but we just like to keep a name straight once someone lays claim to it!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.