Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lighting the lump

Options
Lumpy
Lumpy Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My "aim-a-flame" doesn't seem to be working, can matches be used to start the lump or should i refill my little torch and what is the best fuel to use. Does the big green egg produce a fuel to use? Thank you very much for the much needed help.

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Lumpy,[p]this gets me to 750 or better in 15 minutes.[p]01.jpg
    02.jpg03.jpg04.jpg05.jpg06.jpg

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    stike,[p]Finally got around to trying this method over the weekend. I just used one paper towel, and it worked fine. The oil I had was going bad, so I put enough/so much on that some soaked into the lump while the flame was developing. The time to a good heat was maybe a little faster than a starter cube.[p]gdenby
  • stike
    Options
    gdenby,
    i use two, and i've learned NOT to bother soaking it with oil. just a drizzle.[p]it should just be translucent or "oily" looking (think potato chips in a brown paper bag).[p]and i think flashback bob said that safflower oil did NOT work. weird.[p]anyway. two of those things take less time to make and start than MAAP (do the math. light with MAAP in three spots for a minute each?), and get to temp faster than anything but a weedburner.[p]since i'm usually half in the wrapper myself when egging, i do not need to be in control of giant flaming wands of death like them weedburners. ...but there's no denying they're faster. hell. with a weedburner you could just put the steak on the grid and fire the weed burner directly at it.[p]anyhoo, there's a guy who used to hang out here all the time. he was the one who first mentioned this method on the forum (since i've been here). i didn't come up with it. i don't have an original bone in my body.

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Lumpy,[p]Yup, paper towel/napkin and food oil. I use whatever I have. I was cleaning out a drip pan from a chicken cook. Noticed several paper towls which were soaked with grease when done.[p]Grabed two of those chicken paper towls. They worked just great.[p]Kent
  • SmokinGuitarPlayer
    Options
    Lumpy,
    Among other methods, Big Green Egg has really good fire starters ..they are small cubes of sawdust mixed with wax and they burn clean and always start the charcoal in minutes. You get 24 in a box. Link below. [p]
    PS....They also have an electric starter that works great also.

[ul][li]BIG GREEN EGG FIRE STARTERS[/ul]
    Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa. 
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    SmokinGuitarPlayer,[p]GBE starters are great and extremely easy. Out here they are $12 a box wish we lived closer to the guitar store.[p]Kent[p]
  • GatorEgg
    Options
    Lumpy,
    I use the fire starter cubes for fire places from Lowes. There about 2" x 6" x 1", made out of saw dust and wax. I then cut them into 1" squares and use them as you would use the bge starter cubes. If I want a hotter fire I put 2 squares in to start with. They're about $15-$16 a box. The box should last all season long and then some. I've had my egg about 8 months and I use it 4-6 time a week. I've hardly dented the box I bought 6 months ago. Recently I've been using smaller cubes and they work just fine.

• Flashback Bob
    Options
    stike,
    It's CANOLA oil I tried that didn't work. I bought it instead of Vegetable oil, thinking it was the healthy choice. I've used Vegetable oil a few times to light the Egg-no problem. Then I tried lighting up the Egg with Canola oil and nuthin'![p]So it does make a difference.

• stike
    Options
    Flashback Bob,
    last night, i loaded the large with lump and lit it with my faithful two twisties. took a half hour to break 600! hahaha[p]christmas. i usually go right to 750 right away. i guess i need to clean the ash out more than once a month....

• FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Options
    Flame1.jpg
    <p />Lumpy,
    This weedburner from Harbor freight works for me. Wouldn't be without it.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,818
    Options
    stike,
    since i'm usually half in the wrapper myself when egging, i DO need to be in control of giant flaming wands of death. the scariest craziest person in the neighborhood never gets any problems from their neighbors. with the weedburner you can get a nice even burn with just a couple inches of lump which comes in handy for a few cooks where all you want is a very small lump pile in the bottom. other methods wont give you this even bun unless the lump is piled high.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    Options
    fishlessman,
    i'm surprised to hear that you drink while cooking.[p]

• FlaMike,
    Will using the weed burner cause damage to the egg ceramics?[p]Thanks,[p]Scott

• ranger ray
    Options
    gscottn, i been using a weed burner for the last five years.... i tried everything else and then some..... the weed burner works best.... fun to use too.... i have not seen any ill effets.... besides you're heating the lump and the egg has a fire ring .... so you're not heating the egg directly....

• stike
    Options
    gscottn,
    nah. that flame looks impressive, but it ain't as hot as the lump.