Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

looking to cook a breast of geese during moose hunting...i need suggestions and help!

Options
mikeb6109
mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
well we are going moose hunting on the 27/28/29 and we are planning on cooking a large breast of geese.i have never tried it before so any help will be greatly appreciated!!temps? cooking time? direct?indirect?
thanks for all your help!
mike

Comments

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    mikeb6109,
    If its a wild goose, brine it first; they are so lean that the added moisture is necessary. Even with brining, be careful of the final temps: 350 dome and 160 for the meat. Another method is to split the breast and braise it in your favorite liquid after rubbing with oil and your favorite spice mixture. Have fun!

• mikeb6109
    Options
    Marvin,
    yes it will be wild !! was thinking i could basicaly low and slow cook it!! instead of plucking it we are going to skin it! brining i'm not sure..... i brined a turkey once and it was like eating ham??? so kinda hesitant on that one? what would you suggest for a brine?
    mike

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    mikeb6109,
    Lo-n-slo will make it like shoe leather, particularly if they are skinned. Without fat, you need to roast and insure moisture. For the brine, I would simply put 2/3 cup each of sugar and salt and 2 tblsps of crushed juniper berries per gallon of water (another option would be to cut the sugar in half and use apple cider for the liquid). Make sure that the brine temp stays under 40 degrees. I would brine the breasts for 8 hours or so, rinse them, rub with oil and your favorite spices (I'm partial to DP's Tsunami Spin), get the temp to about 350, and a little fruit wood to the Egg, and take off the breasts at 160. Let us know the outcome.

• mikeb6109,
    Waterfowl requires some care when cooking on the grill. I use a combination of one bottle of Zesty Italian Salad Dressing, Half a bottle of Worchestershire Sauce and a small jar of orange marmelade jelly as the marinade. Let it marinate for a couple of hours. After marinating, use fresh ground pepper and wrap in bacon to avoid drying out the meat. BGE it to medium well and serve hot. Do not let it cool before serving.[p]Good Luck

• mikeb6109,[p]I shoot a fair number of geese each year and my two favorite ways of preparing them is making goose jerky and goose kabobs. Grilling small pieces of goose wrapped with bacon and some hot peppers also works well.
  • mikeb6109
    Options
    TNEgghead,
    thanks at what temps and i assume direct??
    mike

• mikeb6109, Cook over direct heat at 450 F.