Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shrimp question ...

Options
EggDawg
EggDawg Posts: 27
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just purchased the ceramic grate for cooking fish and shrimp. I am going to buy shelled jumbo shrimp and I have one of the seasonings bought from the BGE store.[p]What temp and how long? Any other info.?[p]Thanks in advance!

Comments

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    EggDawg,
    My best shrimp results have come from high temps (600+) 2 minutes a side. Please excuse my ignorance - how big are your jumbos? My preference is for colossals (10 to 12 to the pound).

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    Personally, I'd go with a much lower temp, in the 350* range for 3-5 mins per side. Nice pinkish color and they are done.
    If you use a grate, you might consider skewering them as it will make it easier to turn. (Use 2 skewers to make real easy...got that tip on here but can't remember who to credit) Another option is a wok type basket and then all you have to do is flip them easily.
    High temp is good for searing and shrimp don't take much to cook, in my opinion. And Blue Smoke, where I come from, 10-12 is Jumbo.

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Shelby,
    Around here, Jumbos are 16-20. Nothing like standard names... :-)

• Mark
    Mark Posts: 295
    Options
    EggDawg,
    Just did some hotdog size shrimp last weekend. Indirect at 350, five minutes on on one side, three minutes on the other, skewered with a pepper inbetween. Looked good and tasted better. Used Mad Dogs Green Amigo Hot Sauce to marinade.
    Mark

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Mark, Don't marinate your shrimp for over 30 minutes. At whatever temp, they are done when they are pink & curled. No rocket science here.... JCA

• MrTGT
    MrTGT Posts: 7
    Options
    I brine my shrimp for 1/2 hour(1 cup kosher salt/gallon water). Then I make a paste of 4 garlic cloves mashed with Kosher salt, then add 1 tsp paprika, 1 tsp tabasco, 1 tablespoon lemon juice ,2 tablespoons olive oil, some black pepper and a handful fresh chopped parsley.(I use a mortar & pestle to do this).I mix this mixture in a bowl with the shrimp, let it marinated for 10 minutes..Skewer the shrimp.....and egg it at 350 degrees till they turn Pink..My Wifes favorite dish on the EGG :) You must eat it with your fingers so get the garlic salt flavor on your fingers to lick it off...[p]

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Options
    EggDawg,
    What the heck is the ceramic grate. Sounds like somthing I might need. I thought I had all the BGE toys.
    B D

• EggDawg
    Options
    Big Daddy,it's the round cooking plate with holes i if for cooking fish and other things which are either delicate or can fall through the grill. It comes in stailess steel or ceramic with black, glossy finish. Got it at teh BGE store.[p]Maybe I'm not calling it by its real name.[p]
  • EggDawg
    Options
    MrTGT,thanks for the great sounding recipe. By the time I saw your message, I had cooked the shrimp. [p]I peeled and deveined, sprinkled BGE powder, skewered, and cooked over @400. I turned them once and painted melted garlic over each side while grilling. Only took about 4 minutes perside.[p]Thanks for the recipe - my printer isn't working, but I wrote it down!

• EggDawg
    Options
    EggDawg, oops!! I meant "I painted melted garlice BUTTER ..."

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Options
    EggDawg,
    You through me for a loop, everytime I think of the grate I think of porcelain not ceramic.
    B D