Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pork tenderloin and sides

Options
eddy-turn
eddy-turn Posts: 36
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How to cook a 3 lb pork tenderloin? [p]Lo and slow or higher temp? [p]Smoke or no?[p]Any creative side dish ideas?[p]Thanks,[p]eddy-turn

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    eddy-turn,[p]Tenderloins do well with a fairly quick roast, dome about 350-375. I like to marinate them in an oil based marinade, as they usually don't have much fat, and that seems to help them stay moist. My preference is just for a handful of apple chips, if anything, for smoke.[p]I do them raised over a drip pan with some fluid.[p]gdenby

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    eddy-turn,
    If is a tenderloin and not a pork loin then I would cook it direct at 425/450 to an internal temp of 145/150. At that temp it will probaby take no more then 20/25 minutes. I would turn a few times so they don't burn. I season mine with Paul Proudhomes pork seasoning. Good luck, Tom Porktenderloincook2.jpg

• jeffybeer
    Options
    eddy-turn,
    Personally I like to cook my pork tenderloins indirectly over the plate setter. Sometimes I will use a marinade but mostly I just use a rub and cook at 350-400 until it reaches 145. Let it rest 10 minutes.

• eddy-turn,[p]I cook my pork tenderloin at 300 to 325 direct. Flip about every 10 minutes. I baste it with Italian dressing the last two flips (only 5 minutes each for it).

• eddy-turn,[p]Pork tenderloins are one of my wife's favorite things, and I wind up making them pretty often. I don't like to marinade them, instead I use a basic 'sweet' pork rub (brown sugar, salt, chili powder etc). I cook fairly fast and hot - 400 or so, and you should turn frequently enough to avoid burning. Cook to 145, and let rest for 10 minutes in a baking dish tented in foil. Slice nice and thin, and put the slices back into the dish they rested in to soak up some of the juices. mmm, good juices...[p]As for sides - that's ma specialty. Purple potatoes cut into 1" pieces tossed in olive oil, kosher salt, rosemary, and plenty of crushed garlic. Put the mess into a double layered foil pouch (oil pr pam the inside of the pouch first) and throw it on the grill with the pork, and flip it when you turn the pork... Yuuummmm[p]The second side I specifically designed for this dish. Core and quarter some granny smith apples. throw em on the grill with the pork - you may need to turn these more frequently. Cook em 'til they get a bit soft, then sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon. They go great with the pork. [p]You can also go a step further and thrown the grilled apple slices in a cast iron skillet with a touch of butter, sugar, and cinnamon while the pork is resting. when they soften completely, get to smashing and enjoy the best grilled applesauce you've ever tasted.[p]