Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ash Tool questions

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When I bought my large egg I also bought the ash tool but now notice there are 3 different sizes offered according to their website. Mine didn't come in a package so I don't know if the dealer sold me the right size. What is the difference between them all, is it the size of the bar or the overall length? The bar on mine is 2" and the length is 16.5". Do I have the right one? Also the coiled handle seems to jiggle around, is this normal? And what is the other end used for? Thanx.

Comments

• Metalhead
    Options
    JudyFoodie,
    they are dfft according to what size egg you have[p]the coil on the handle jigglin is normal[p]the "L" on the other end goes into the bottom vent to scrape the ASHes out of the door. It can even go behind the firebox somewhat and get ASHes that have fallen there.[p]what size egg do you have?[p]Jan

• Metalhead,
    I have a large and what is the curved end used for? It's too big to use as a hanger so I've used it to lift my daisy cap when it's hot. Any other uses, it's an odd design? Thanks.

• JudyFoodie,[p]I use the curved end to hang it on the hook on the edge of my table when I don't need it. IMHO you'll learn that this is your most used tool, eventually.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    JudyFoodie,[p] Older eggs had a locking mechanism that you had to manually lock. That hook helped that. Now it's just a another thing for new people to ask about :)[p]
  • ThinkandDrive
    Options
    JudyFoodie,[p]If you're able to use it to clean out the ash, it's the right size. ;P[p]I suppose the major differences are in the length of the "scrapey end", since the draft doors on the various models may differ.[p]Keep an eye on that springy handle. I thought mine moved a lot and then the weld snapped one day, about a week after I got it. The store I bought it at was perfectly gracious in replacing it though. I think it was just a faulty weld, since this new one seems to be welded in two places instead of just the one.[p]It's a totally indispensable tool!
  • ChefDave
    Options
    ThinkandDrive,
    I always use my Shop Vac to clean above and below the grate. Wonderful and clean way of getting the very small lump and ashes out.

• ThinkandDrive,
    Hmmm...mine is only about a month old and it is only welded on one side. Thanks for the heads up.

• ThinkandDrive
    Options
    JudyFoodie,[p]Mine was only welded on one side also. But I think it was one "spot". That is, you can look at the new one and see where it was tacked in two places, right side by side. My first one seemed to only be welded on the very tip of the curly part, which is why I think it snapped.[p]They're certainly made very well. I think I just has a dud. This one still moves a lot, but doesn't seem as loose as the first. Wish I had taken pics.