Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beer Butt CHicken

Options
TomRC
TomRC Posts: 9
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone have a good recipe for beer butt chicken? and is it necessary to brine the chicken first? Thanks.
By the way, I got my BGE last Friday and cooked Filets Saturday nite. They were good, not great, I did not have enough lump in the egg-I never got the sear on the meat. I also did baby back on Sunday. Pretty good, but a little dried out. Tried the 3-1-1.5 method. Practice makes perfect.

Comments

• Citizen Q
    Citizen Q Posts: 484
    Options
    tomrc,
    I prefer to dry rub, but you can brine if you want to. Here's the link to the puoltry page.

[ul][li]Poultry Recipes[/ul]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    tomrc,
    Brining not necessary, but it sure is good. If you brine, Brant's recipe is the best I have had.
    Leftovers make a righteous chicken salad sammich.
    Enjoy.[p]On the babybacks, I prefer not to foil. If you do the hour in the foil, I would shorten the last part from 1.5 to maybe a half hour, as they are just about done after an hour of steaming. Your goal is just to get them crusted a bit. Just my preference, but I prefer the foil method only on spares from time to time.[p]Cheers to ya.
    NB

[ul][li]Brant's Masterpiece[/ul]
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Charcoal Mike
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]That explains it. My first attempt with baby-backs on Sunday also followed the 3/1/1/5 method (250 degrees). After they came out of the foil they were already falling off the bone so much I had a hard time turning them. Gave them an extra 30 minutes to soak up some sauce, but I couldn't see leaving them on for that extra hour.[p]Besides that they were INCREDIBLE. Ate leftovers tonight, and they were actually better than yesterday.[p]- Mike