Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Chicken

Options
BluesnBBQ
BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This weekend I had some family and neighbors over and served pulled pork and pulled chicken. I never did pulled chicken before, and it was a very easy cook.[p]I used leg quarters, probably about ten of them. I used a simple rub and cooked them on a raised grid over a drip pan at 250, with a couple of chunks of cherry. Every half hour or so I basted them with some cider vinegar, oil, black pepper and red pepper flakes. I think they cooked for 2 - 2 1/2 hours. I didn't check the internal temp and I didn't turn or flip them. I just let them cook slowly and occasionally basted.[p]I took the quarters off and let them sit on a pan covered in foil for maybe 30 minutes. I took the meat off of them (and I found the best way was to separate the drumstick from the thigh first) and chopped with a cleaver. I also chopped up the skin as much as I could and mixed that in with the meat. Any excess fat went to the dogs, who were very happy that night (they also got the fat from the pulled pork).[p]I thought about mixing some barbecue sauce into the meat, but decided to serve it plain. It was very smokey and tender. All of my guests loved it. I'll definitely be doing that again.

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,[p]Congratulations on the nice cook. Pulled chicken is very good. I normally cook the thighs (don't often cook legs) at 225-250 degrees for 4-4.5 hours indirect with no flipping, turning. You definitely can cook much longer and still very comfortably increase the flavor and texture.[p]Spin