Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby backs vs. spare ribs

Options
Birdman
Birdman Posts: 66
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I haven't cooked ribs much. What is the difference between baby backs and spare ribs, in terms of their taste, preperation, etc.[p]Which goes better with watching the Broncos defeat the Ravens tomorrow?[p]Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Mark
    Mark Posts: 295
    Options
    Birdman,
    I my humble opinion there is no comparison BABY BACKS! Look in the recipe section there are several good ones there.
    Mark

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Birdman,
    Spare ribs are a bit trickier to get right, but not overly difficult. And when the guys are comin' over and they want MEAT, then I usually go with spares. They are similar in texture and flavor, though back ribs are a bit more tender usually. Babybacks are also more tidy and they are always good. Problem is they are about twice the price of spares....at least here. I do about half and half. If cost is no issue, babybacks are usually my choice. Always big fat spares for the guys though.[p]Spares take a bit longer...an hour or two depending on how hot you are cooking them. Prepare them the same way. Spares can stand an extra dose of rub, as the meat is much thicker. They really like a long cook.[p]Ravens are tough...should be a good game.
    Cheers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Birdman,[p]You will get a 50/50 split on which is best. They are different. I prefer baby backs but many like spares. Spares will take a little longer to cook - bigger bones and some say more meat but you need to trim the chine bones and other stuff that only my dog eats from spares (unless you get a St Louis cut). Try both and see if you like one better than the other.[p]Tim
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Sure do miss our Winn Dixie store Fredericksburg had for about 1 year.It was the most northern store they had - closed last year. They would run rib sales and when you went to see if they were spares or babies - they were always the same price for either. I always got the baby backs. The other stores differentiate between spares and babies but not Winn Dixie.[p]Tim
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Tim M,
    Maybe that is why the store closed...because they lost so much money selling babybacks too low!
    Currently babybacks are $3.99 around here. Spares around 2 bucks.[p]Cheers atcha.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Birdman
    Options
    Nature Boy,and others,
    Thanks for the response. I got baby backs here in Denver for $2.99 per lb. at CostCo. Is there a membrane I need to cut? I was going to rub with dry mustard tonight, then rub with JJ's Rub in the morning, before cooking them on the Egg.

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Birdman,
    Yes, there is a membrane to pull off. A dull dinner knife and a paper towel and you're in bizness. Babybacks are easier to demembrane than spares. I like to apply the rub first, and let it sit a bit, then gently apply a coat of mustard. This puts the rub in direct contact with the meat.[p]Enjoy! If you already put the mustard on, no biggy. have fun! That is a good price for bbacks.
    Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com