Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Spawn's brownies kick butt in New Holland (and save her teamates butts)

Options
mad max beyond eggdome
mad max beyond eggdome Posts: 8,134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
well, it was a tough weekend in new holland PA for the free range crew. . . .brett and his daughter allison, me and sydney, we cooked up a storm. . ..thought we had turned in some pretty good entries, but in a tough crowd of 72 teams, we didn't do any better than 20th or so in any category, and finished 41st overall out of 72. . .[p]our one shining moment was in the 'anything butt' category. ...in 95+ heat, sydney put together a fantastic batch of her famous brownies, created a very cool 'box', and in a very tough group, scored an unbelievable 178.2 (out of possible 180) and finished third ... the only two teams that outscored us were both perfect 180s (two different women, one made a cheesecake, and the other a lemon thing that she had also gotten a 180 for at a competition 2 weeks ago). . . so it took 2 perfect scores to beat her. . .[p]to say the least, i have one very happy spawn on my hands. . .let me tell you, working with that chocolate in that heat was really hard, constantly shifting things back and forth from ice chests to the work table, and then finally to turn-in ... it's a little hard to tell from the picture, but we had found some cookie cutters, one in the shape of a buffalo that she used to shape the brownies. ...and again, they sit on a big bed of shaved chocolate, with some white chocolate for contrast. .. .[p]IMG_1359.jpg[p]and here is the happy spawn with her hardware ....first words out of her mouth were "can i take this up to school with me?" ...ABSOLUTELY. ..those people up at hofstra arent' going to know what to think!!![p]IMG_1362.jpg[p]just four more days and she is off. .. . it was a great way to end the summer for her. . .i think she is now ready to take that "next step" on her life's journey

Comments

• Buster Dog BBQ
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Dang. That is a pretty fancy third place trophy. Congrats. I have seen a few deserts that people turn in and a lot of them have been pre-made when they arrive. Hats off to to her for doing the work there.

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Buster Dog BBQ,
    absolutely all cooked on site in the egg. . .she was up at around 3am shaving the chocolate and putting it quickly into the cooler to keep from melting into a solid lump .. .[p]its too bad when someone works hard and others are 'cheating' in a category like that. ..the whole idea in my mind for that category, is to 1. be creative, and 2. figure out how to make it with the same cookers you are doing your bbq with. . .

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    you gotta be proud of that sweetie.
    Saved your butts...yeah! Im sure it wasnt the 1st and it wont be the last time!
    Thanx for sharing, bro!
    ST

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Congrats Sidney on the high placing in 'anything butt' category...out of 72 teams! Quite an accomplishment! That brownie looked fanatstic.
    As far as the other competitions go, it sure sounds like yall had a great time with your kids and they , with you. That's always a blue ribbon win in my book. Again, congrats to your spawn, I can see the pride in your writing. And tell Sidney that everyone should make brownies that look that great! [p]I do have one word of advice for the next competition..get to know the judges..it worked for me!Haha.[p]DSCI0019-1.jpg

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Very nice trophy for sure......looks 37mm AT variety.[p]Thats my kinda background.[p]:>)

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Smokin' Todd,
    thanks todd. . .btw, i saw your post from the other night. ..sure hope your better half is recovering quickly and feeling better!! . ..

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Big'un,
    thanks!!. . .that's a great pic of your kids btw!! . ..save that one for the annual photo contest. .its a winner![p]btw, you haven't had a kid for a judge, till your daughter is a certified bbq judge (spawn became a KCBS CBJ before her 16th birthday). . .EVERYTHING i cook gets critiqued, even instant oatmeal!!

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    dhuffjr,
    thanks dennis . .. not sure what the caliber of that old gun is ... you are probably correct though. . .

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    I can only hope I end up with a couple of sanctioned judges..right now, they both love to cook and seem to have the creativity it takes to be a really good cook. They don't know it yet, but I'm actually training them to be able to take care of me in my golden years.Haha.
    Hoping your oatmeal improves,
    Big'un

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    I can see why Spawn does not want that recipe getting out. Can't say that I blame her. Angela made some brownies that I called brownies on acid when we first got married. I'll have to see if she can't find the recipe book and we can try it out on the Egg.[p]I'm 99.999999999% sure I'm right on the gun. It was a pretty crappy design that hung on too long but did have use in the Pacific....mainly with canister rounds as a giant shotgun....it was also used to strip vegetation from bunkers with the canister rounds so bigger guns could do them in with a clear vision of what they were aiming for.[p]
    H

[ul][li]Link to 37mm AT gun photos.[/ul]
  • mad max beyond eggdome,
    Congrats to Spawn. Let me know how the send off goes. My heart goes out to you.....I know how it feels. [p]Kim

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    It's good to see the Max/Spawn Team working/having fun again.[p]By the way, I still haven't had a Spawn Brownie. They disappeared too fast... Maybe next time.[p]Spring "3:45 AM Forum Check" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Congrats to the Spawn. I can just taste those brownies now. I bet those judges didn't know what hit 'em.[p]Best,[p]TRex
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]That's some great news. My 4½ year old son still talks about Sydney's brownies from Eggtoberfest! [p]A 178.2 is an increadable score, WOW! [p]Way to go![p]Smokey

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    dhuffjr,
    sure looks like the same gun to me ... .

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    MrsAZRP,
    thanks kim. ...its gonna be interesting on thursday/friday....my wife decided she wants to come up there too. ... so the two of them will probably cry, then have a fight over something pointless, then leave each other angry, then call and boo hoo some more. ...geee. . .I CAN"T WAIT!!![p]i'm still in that "really excited for her future" mode. ..we'll see if that gets pushed aside for "missing her" ... .

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    we'll see if she can't make up a special one just for you!!!![p]mad "always looking out for my favorite chicken" max

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    TRex,
    one thing we've learned over the years in new holland is that "sweet" wins big in the anything butt category. ...after sausage, ribs, chicken, pork, brisket, those judges are ready for desert!! . ... [p]sydney and i were judges at the kids-Q event there on saturday night, and we couldn't wait to eat some of the deserts the kids made for that competition. ..they were very good. .. .

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Smokey,
    thanks damon....we are already working on getting sydney down to atlanta from school in october....and she will most certainly be making the brownies there again. ...

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome, holy smokes that is fantastic. I can see it now....all the other camps are drinking beer while you folks are sporting milk mustaches.....covered in milk chocolate.....LOL[p]Sydney, hope you have a wonderful first year in college, that's code for first year of freedom. T
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Smoked Signals
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Congrats to Spawn!! [p]However, I am so sick of cheesecake winning these dessert comps. Cheesecake took 1st and 2nd in Madison. One guy entered a GFS cheesecake ... ridiculous. You'd think the judges had never had one before.[p]Doug

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p] Congrats to Spawn. Whatever will you do without her??