Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey help

Options
Slim
Slim Posts: 44
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a 7.5 pound turkey breast that i need help on with times temps rubs brines how to cook etc i would like to do a few of these to practice for my thanksgiving day bird so any and all tips would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    slim,
    Nobody seems to be jumping in here, so I'll volunteer.[p]Here's just one BGE cook's method: First, brine the breast in a simple salt/sugar solution, refrigerated, for a day. Drain it, rinse it, dry it. [p]Make an herb mixture using whatever you like; I use Herbes de Provence, lots of chopped garlic, some dijon mustard, extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar or lemon juice, and some sage, either dried or fresh. This should be about the consistency of molasses. Loosen the skin all over without breaking through and rub the herb mixture liberally under and over the breast, as well as in the cavity. [p]Then, place it on a rack in a foil-lined pan, add some water to the pan (so the drippings won't burn) and place the pan on firebricks in the Egg which is preheated to about 375-400. Bring the temp down to about 350 and let it roast without peeking until the breast temp. reaches about 170. Generally, that's nearly 20 min/pound, so your 7.5 lb bird will take about 2 hours before you check its temperature. If you're using a probe thermometer with a remote reading, so much the better; no guesswork. When the temp is reached, take it out and let it "rest" for about 15-20 minutes covered loosely with foil; the internal temp will continue to rise a bit while it rests. When you carve it, be sure to catch all the juices that run out as well as what's collected in the drip pan and make some gravy. That's all, folks!

• Slim
    Options
    Gretl,
    thanks so much as i posted i want to practice and perfect it so come thanksgiving i make a turkey to die for! i appreciate the help

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    slim,
    Post the results! Also, freshly ground pepper sprinkled over the breast is a nice touch. I forgot to mention that yesterday. Hey...is it lunchtime yet??
    Cheers,
    Gretl
    p.s. I'd like to eliminate the expression, "to die for" and replace it with "worth living for." What do you think?

• Slim
    Options
    Gretl, thats fine with me i want my turkey worth living for! doing the breast on wed and thanks once again for your help!