Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bluefish

TOROLNSTND
TOROLNSTND Posts: 38
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just came in off the Bay with a couple of bluefish filets. Lets pause to do some math here, $70/person x 6 people for a 6 hour charter divided by 15lbs of bluefish yeilding 8lbs of edible flesh = $53.33/pound. This had better be some damn good fish. I'm told that bluefish is somewhat of an aquired tatse, but that the best cooking method IS smoking. Anybody have any good tips and tricks?
Thanks.

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    TOROLNSTND,[p]LOVE Bluefish on Mr. Egg!and, yes it's an acquired taste. Most people think it's too fishy and that it has a 'funny' consistancey.
    I did a bunch last year and all I did was add a little lemon juice, some (quite a bit) of fresh cracked pepper and let'er rip! If you have the skin on keep the skin side down. If I remember correctly I think I did my blues at about 375º- 400º for about 20 minutes...Can't remember exactly. You'll know when it's done when it flakes easily.Some people seem to be put off by the fact it looks a little 'gray' when its done. Bluefish is still one of my favorites all the more for me. I also did a low 'n' slo smoke on some and I didn't share any of it with anyone!!!
    A friend of mine used to bake it in milk with a slathering of mayo on the top! Tasted pretty good to me.Supposedly, the milk and mayo took some of the 'fishy' taste away.
    You can't hurt it too much with Mr. Egg 'cause it doesn't dry out that easily.
    Carey

• 20 minutes at 350-400 ?!!
    How big is your bluefish?[p]I have tried the low and slow method and I didn't add enough alder. The fish also came out a little too moist or maybe oily is better. [p]The above times sound long to me unless it's a Big Fish

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    olblue,
    Like I said in my post, I really don't remember how long the bluefish took to cook. They were rather large filets maybe 4 - 5 lbs each they had to be cut in half to fit on the 18" grille. I don't mind the moistness (is that a word?)the Egg gives or the oiliness of bluefish. I do like the texture and the taste. Try some whole mackrel sometime. Did a couple about a month ago or so and they came out pretty good. Again, A little oilier than a blue but good.
    Carey