Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Burnt Ends - Can we call them beef candy?

Options
Pace Yourself
Pace Yourself Posts: 42
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey Gang,[p]I just had one of the better culinary experiences of my life and I find myself compelled to share. If you followed my saga yesterday I made my first brisket and subsequently my fist burnt ends. The sliced brisket was too dry for me and not real memorable. However, the chopped up ends came to life today and I was thinking about you guys as I wrote this note to a friend:[p][p]--- I just eat one of the best things I have ever eaten and it was something I made! No ****. I made what are called burnt ends yesterday out of the end and the part of the flat that couldn’t be sliced. Took that, beat it for a while with a cleaver, put in a pot, ran sauce though it. (I made the sauce yesterday out of stuff I had here, it was a pretty basic recipe but oddly good with this…) (Also to note, the consistency of the meat at this point was chunky with lots of crunchy bits, it really looked good.) In the meantime I have added a bunch of wood chunks to the egg and it is spewing. Took the pot, put it on the egg and let it get about 90 minutes of thick smoke. (I would stir every 15 minutes; you should have seen the smoke shooting out of the pan.) Let it cool and put it away.[p]--- Tonight, I chip some off into a small saucepan and put it on low. To moisten it I put a good bit of Tabasco Chipoltle along with a few tablespoons of the aforementioned sauce. I stirred it around for about 5 minutes then I took out some white bread and steamed each side of each piece on top of the meat in the saucepan. (It was a perfect size pan; the bread just fit and softened up nice.) Bread funky, applied beef in a ½ inch layer then wrapped in a paper towel for about 60 seconds. (I was trying to get the bread like that place by U of I then served the beef sandwiches on soft white bread – I remember leaving fingerprints in the bread…) I then tried it and it was a little too smoky for me so I added a smear of the sauce, hoping the vinegar in the sauce would cut the smoke. I tried it again and no kidding it was perfect BBQ for me. All the good textures, from the crunch and chew of the beef to the soft, almost gooey fell of the bread. From a taste perspective there was a lot of funky, smoky, kind of burnt (maybe that’s why they call it burnt ends…), with a sweet hint from the sauce. All good.[p]--- That wasn’t the best part however. There were a few tablespoons of the beef still in the pan so I added a little sauce and just hit it with a fork. Damn, it was like candy. I swear, it was one of the best foodstuffs I have ever had and you and I have had some top-notch foodstuffs. (I love saying foodstuffs…lol) You have to get up here this weekend to have some of this and let me know what you think.[p][p]So, thanks again to this community - I would have never eaten what I did tonight with out you.[p]Cheers

Comments