Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rub after Brining...or, is there life after drowning?

Options
Big Murth
Big Murth Posts: 350
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all. Somebody named Reg, got back to me last week, with a nice basic brine recipe for some boneless pork chops I found in the freezer, and they've been immersed in the brine since yesterday afternoon in anticipation with their date this evening ala Egg.
Reg told me that he rubs them after patting them dry, but with a non-salt mixture. I guess after brining, you've got mucho sodium infused into the meat. Any suggestions for something flavorful I can rub these with? I've got an amply stocked spice cabinet, with everything from cumin to coriander, oregano/thyme to tarragon, paprika, cayenne to cumin, and all kinds of red chile powder, etc. Let me know what you think...IYHO! Thanks..........Big Murth

Comments

• Bobby Que
    Options
    Big Murth,[p]I use a basic brine of 1/4 cup kosher salt and 1/4 cup sugar for 3 large pork chops in a gallon zip bag. Of course, I add other stuff to the brine.[p]I have not had any excessive salt problem using CharCrust (Hickory & Molassas) put on in moderate amounts for a hot sear and dwell of the chops.

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Big Murth,[p]It is possible to have the additive effect produce a salty taste in the finished product. The chops will be great if only dusted with fresh ground pepper. JJ's rub is very low in sodium if no salt was added in the preparation.[p]Spin
  • TOROLNSTND
    Options
    Big Murth,
    I was watching PBS yesterday afternoon and Julia Child was on, a repeat from sometime in the mid-70's. She was preserving a goose that she had cut up into parts and thouroughly rubbed with a sh*tload of salt mixed with a bunch of spices. She put all the pieces into a bowl, covered with plastic wrap and weighted it down for 24 hours. The mixture drew just enough liquid from the goose without drying it out to create it's own natural brine. Then she wiped the pieces with paper towels and cooked em up. Just something to kick around.

• Big Murth
    Options
    Big Murth,
    Thanks for the thoughts on rub after brine. I went ahead and dusted both sides of the boneless chops with the Charcrust Cajun and spritzed it with a light olio d' oliva glaze, and crumbled some dry oregano over. Hopefully, not overkill. We're serving to my wife's friend who helped us make homemade salsa all afternoon, this with yellow corn on the cob, and baked potatoes...plus a salad with fresh garden tomatoes. I'll let you would-be briners know how it goes, as this is my first time doing a brine...and you old-timers will be interested in what a rookie comes up with, eh? Big Murth in Nuevo. 81 degrees at 6:32 M.D.T.