Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Johnsonville Bratwurst how to cook

Options
Timothy M2
Timothy M2 Posts: 9
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, my egg is put together, and I have some Johnsonville Bratwurst in the fridge and want to cook them on the egg. These brats are the raw kind, not the kind that is previously smoked. The hamburgert recipe calls for 700*, 3 min, 3 min, then 15 min dwell. This sounds good, except I think bratwurst needs a longer dwell cooking time.[p]Any comments?

Comments

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    Timothy M2, Check these out from the new recipe section. Gooood stuff.
    Painter[p]

[ul][li]brats[/ul]
  • Timothy M2
    Options
    Painter,[p]How do you find stuff like this?[p]I went to the recipe section, and searched the arcives.[p]Thanks for your quick post.
  • Timothy M2
    Options
    Painter,[p]this recipe is not at all what I am looking for.[p]I want to grille brats on my egg. Based on everything that I have read about steak and hamburgers, I want to grille maybe 3 minutes on one side covered, grille maybe 3 minutes on the other side covered, then dwell maybe 20 to 30 minutes. But I do not know how long to dwell, because I think it is pork.
  • Painter
    Options
    Timothy M2, On top of the forum page is a list of recipes, view new recipes, archives etc. Its in the column that you click on to post new message. This one happened to be in "view new recipes"
    Painter

• Painter
    Options
    Timothy M2, I do mine direct at 275 and turn every five minutes or so. At a lower temp and longer cook I don't dwell at all, just cook till you have a good crust or browning all around. Usually 15 minutes or so. If the casing doesn't rupture you can shut down and leave on without drying out. Hope this helps.
    Painter

• Timothy M2
    Options
    Painter,[p]Hey look at this link to Johnsonville...
    [ul][li]Johnsonville[/ul]
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Timothy M2,
    THis may or may not be what you're looking for. The technique is really good for sausages though.
    JimW

[ul][li]Jobu's Sausages and peppers[/ul]
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Timothy M2,[p]I do some of these on my small egg often. Nothing special and no dwelling. I get the Egg up to grilling temps (275-300 deg) and roll them around the Egg for 40 min or so direct. Remove, place on bun, cover with condiments - eat. [p]I'll have to take pics of them sometime.[p]Tim
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Painter,[p]It says 25-30 min on the charcoal grill. They have a good deal of fat so longer cooking will render much of it, that's why mine take 40 min or more. Good luck[p]Tim
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Timothy M2, I simmer them in beer & (house brand) jerk before I put them on the grill. JCA

• ColoradoCook
    Options
    Timothy M2,[p]Method: 4/4/4/15[p]Cook them around 500* for four minutes on three sides, this gets them nice and brown. If you get flare ups simply shut the dampers for 10 seconds or so to extinquish. When you rotate to the 4th side shut the dampers and dwell for 15 to 20 minutes depending on how you like your brats cooked. Total cooking time: 27 to 32 minutes. I use the same method for hot dogs but dogs like to split open, that's when I know they are done.[p]CC