Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fresh Chicken Livers

canadian bacon
canadian bacon Posts: 37
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Raise a few meat hens every year and am harvesting today. Usually fry up the livers but am woondering if anyone out there has an egg recipe ?[p]CB

Comments

• 1shot
    1shot Posts: 67
    Canadian Bacon,
    I usually dont cook them, the catfish like them better raw!!! I aint gonna eat them critters. Now gizzards are another story I love them things..

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Canadian Bacon,
    Take 1/2 water chestnut, pre cook bacon like making an ABT. wrap the bacon around the liver and water chestnut, cook on BGE 300-350 like an ABT but not as long maybe 20-25 minutes indirect.

• 100_3426.jpg
    <p />Canadian Bacon,
    Love to fix this. Chicken livers wrapped in bacon. Marinate in 1/3 Olive oil, 1/3 worcestershire(sp?)sauce and 1/3 Brown Sugar for about an hour. These are always the first to go, just don't tell what they are until their gone.
    DB[p]

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Canadian Bacon,[p]Here is another idea.[p]When I was a kid, I remember my mom making these for their grownup parties and I hated them. Now, well, they're so good I just wanna roll on em.

[p]Ingredients
    lb chicken livers
    freshly grated ginger
    splash of sherry
    splash of soy sauce
    pinch cayenne
    1 lb bacon
    3-4 water chestnuts (sliced)

Procedure
    1 Rinse a pound of livers, cut them in half, mix in a bowl with freshly grated ginger, a splash of sherry, a splash of soy sauce, a pinch of cayenne and let marinate for a few hours.
    2 Cut bacon slices in half. Place livers on the bacon, a water chestnut on top, roll up and secure with a teethpick.
    3 Use a raised grill, direct, around 325°F until the bacon gets crispy.
    4 These could have gone a little longer to brown up but I was hungry and I ate them all.
    5 Goes great with a green salad and a rich shiraz.

Servings: 1

Recipe Type
    Appetizer

Recipe Source
    Author: WooDoggies[p]Source: BGE Eggtoberfest '03, WooDoggies[p]Next time I will add a sliver of habenaro. For a different flavor you might want to try substituting tart apple or pineapple for the water chestnut.

[p]