Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ham help, please

Options
newsense
newsense Posts: 32
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a 9-pound bone-in ham shank to cook. The package says it's already "smoked" (what do they know, anyway?), and it says to put in the oven at 325 for 10-15 minutes per pound. I'm thinking I can do better than this on the egg.... any ideas?

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    newsense,
    I like to make diamond shape scores in the fat cap the insert clove stems into the center of each. A baste of dark brown sugar liquified with coke for a mop. The dome temp of 300* or so will do just fine with an internal temp of 140-150*. I prefer sugar maple for the smoke. Hope this helps.

• Trout Bum
    Options
    newsense,
    I have done many of these on numerous cookers.
    I like to score the meat all over in a crisscross pattern and then apply cloves and pineaplle slices held on with toothpicks. Maybe even some whole marashino cherries. Looks nice and the pineapples are great eatin. Make sure you remove the cloves before serving.
    Basting the last 1/2 to 1 hour with a Ham glazing sauce (usually available in jars at the local market)is also a nice touch and adds a little sweet flavor to the outside.
    Do it indirect at about 250* till warm in the center 140* or so. Remember it's allready cooked (smoked)and you don't want to dry it out.
    When searving cut it as you go, it adds a nice touch and the meat will stay most and warm. Save the socializing till later as this step is the most important. You will receive praise.
    B D

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    newsense,
    If it's spiral sliced, be sure to tie it up or the slices on the outside will fall over and dry out.
    JimW

• Sippi
    Sippi Posts: 83
    Options
    newsense,
    Look at Daves Double Smoked Ham in the View New Recipe section. The maple syrup and coffee really add a nice touch. Smoked two last weekend that were delicious. Try it;
    it's special.