Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large & XL BGE

Idahoegger
Idahoegger Posts: 17
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Already have Large BGE looking to buy another. Considering the XL but, has been suggested to stay with the Large

Comments

• spbull472
    spbull472 Posts: 128
    pitmeister,[p]Meh, I say get what you need. Think about how much you cook, the max amount you cook and then get the appropriate size to accomodate your needs. That could be a mini, small, medium, large or an extra large.[p]Lotta people seem to pair a large with a small or medium. Others do a large and an XL. All depends on how much you cook and how often.[p]Helpful huh?[p]STL Scott

• pitmeister,[p]I don't think this would be a quality question, rather only a 'needs question'.[p]If you read previous posts there is a big disscussion about XL's. Reading those posts the comments are about how much or how little.[p]I did not see any question about the quality of eats.[p]I have only had my lg for 2 weeks and yes I am going to get another. There is my wife and I 95% of the time. [p]Then there are about 20 to 25 people from 1yrs to 60 yrs and that is a few times a month if that.[p]I am thinking my second will be a med or sm.[p]However, I really like grill space when cooking and I sort of wonder if it would have been better getting the xl & med.[p]Using the lg, if you cook for a lot of people and are eating smaller items, cut chicken, steaks, burgers/dogs you can always use a grill extender (stacking grills). Be prepaired you may have to do the 'Big Green Shuffle'.[p]Get the size that meets most of your cooking needs most of the time.[p]No matter what you decide it is all good eatin.

• Steve13
    Steve13 Posts: 12
    pitmeister,
    I have 2 larges. I can do low and slow on one and high temps on the other. Plenty of space for large cooks and it doesn't eat the lump that an xl would.

• Steve13,
    Guess I should made myself more clear. Read some earlier posts and things got out of hand with some on this subject. So I will make sure I am clear here. I have the large for about 2 months love it. But I have been made aware that there are some minor issues with the XL. Which I am sure will be worked out in time. Because of those issues is what has made me consider to sataying with the large. The other factor is competition cooks which I would think that I could use the L for that just as well

• Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    kent,
    Boy, if you're cooking for 20-25 a few times a month, I would sure get the XL. Depending on what you're cooking, you would probably use both for those gatherings. Then get the small for when it's just you and the wife. Yep, you sound like a 3-egg family to me. :)[p]gwen

• dimplesmom,[p]I have got my mind around two eggs, but not three (yet) LOL.[p]At this point I am sort of wishing I would have gone for the XL first then I could decide on what would be the best small unit.[p]I think it is a government plot... the mother ship trick us into getting lg's just so we have to become 3 egger families.[p]kent

• Well I had a large and sold it for an XL. I love the extra real-estate on the XL but have considered now getting a large as an addition for smaller cooks.

I miss the easy mobilty of the large for travel purposes.

The only issue I've had with my XL was the gasket burning up on high temp cooks. B ut, I bought a 100 foot roll of ceramic gasket like the Komoda's use and have not had a problem since. It seems like green egg would replace that junk gasket with something worthwhile as this isn't a problem that only I experience.

Good luck!
    Buster
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    kent,
    I have been pondering the same things you have about this very topic. The only difference is, I own an XL.[p]Mike

• Steve13,
    how much more lump does the XL eat than the L?[p]just curious if anyone has actual data - I mean it's logical and all, yet I haven't seen any data, so hard to say if it is a meaningful point

• Mike in Abita,[p]I really think you made the right choice as far as size for the first egg.[p]Kent
  • allTheKingsMen,[p]I would think the XL would be somewhat like the other sizes. [p]From my limited experience when the cook is over the fire is 'choked' out. What lump is left is left. [p]One one cook on my lg I had to make too batches, I have to wonder if my lg cook took more lump having to cook too bathes/cooks. If I had a XL then all food would have been done at one time - thus 1/2 the cooking time but larger burn surface.[p]Kent[p]
  • Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    pitmeister,[p]
    If you like full slabs of ribs, get the XL I've cooked 24 slabs with an extra shelf on mine

• Rollocks,
    How did you do that? Ribracks?