Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

brisket

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
need help please on cooking my first brisket, we have had or egg for a couple of months naw and love it , gonna be 6 kids and 5 adults at our house this weekend , how big of a brisket do you suggest and what do yall suggest , rub or marinade any help is very much appreciated , we have the large egg my the way ..... thanks derek

Comments

• dereknlisa, sorry about the spelling , didnt preview

• dereknlisa,[p]This forum will provide many ways of doing a brisket, I personally marinade mine overnight, rub and wrap for another night, then on to the egg. The Naked Whiz' website is a great start this admiable challenge. Good luck![p]Good eggin'
    paul

• hank
    hank Posts: 84
    Here's the link to the Whiz's site that Paul mentioned. These guidelines worked great for me.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/brisket.htm

Hank
  • hank
    hank Posts: 84
    I meant to add that with 11 eaters you are almost certainly looking at a whole brisket of 6-8 pounds or two flats.

Also, some newbies have become confused with the Whiz's instructions (still, all props to the Whiz! I'm not worthy!) when he suggests putting the cooked brisket in a "cooler." He is simply suggesting that you foil up the cooked brisket and put it in a Styrofoam or plastic Igloo-thingie, wrapping the brisket in foil and some old towels. In this case you aren't cooling the brisket, but using the insulating power of the cooler to keep it warm. This technique not only makes for a tender brisket in my experience, but allows you to "hold" the done brisket for a few hours (2-3?), until you are ready to serve.

Apologies if this is all pretty obvious to you. Good luck.

Hank
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    dereknlisa,[p]Not anywhere near an expert on briskets yet but. after 4 tries I finally got one to come out nearly perfect. It was a 5lb with a nice fat cap and the dang thing took 14 hours! It was tender and moist. I'm not sure it couldn't have used another 1/2 hour after it reached 195º. The first one that was edible.[p]If this is your first attempt I suggest you maybe think about pulled pork for your crowd. Everyone has said brisket is a tough piece of meat to perfect but, once it's perfected . . .
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Sundown,
    ......you can still screw it up LOL

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    dereknlisa,
    Howdy
    I'm a rub it and grill it kinda guy. You got a rub you like on steak? I'd go with that. If it doesn't have any sugar in I'd put some turbinado sugar on the meat then the rub. Follow your standard indirect cook directions. Say 275 dome.[p]As far as what size, in my mind the only size is a packer brisket which is large. I like them to not be real narrow and try to find the one in the bunch with the largest point.[p]I cook them together some folks seperate the two pieces prior to cooking. I'm a burnt ends convert but you can easily chop the point and mix it with some sauce and you'll have some awesome sandwiches.[p]I'll include a handly link on how to trim a brisket that someone posted a while back.

[ul][li]how to trim a brisket[/ul]
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    dereknlisa,
    full packer, but if you cant find one a 7 to 8 pound flat cooks up well, cook a pork butt over it as a backup plan just incase. pork butts always come out good and make great leftovers.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it