Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Have Egg - Will Travel..

Options
galoot
galoot Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It turned out the XL was just a "bit" too big to take camping, so we picked up a new small on the weekend. My wife's idea; she's great!! I planned to make a carrier for it, but decided to first make a box for the innards.
The firering is under the firebox here:(daisy wheel, grate are underneath all that packed in foam. The notched peice shown beside the box is for the platesetter which goes in last:
IMG_0265.jpg

Then the plate setter sits on top of a peice of notched plywood so it does not move around:
IMG_0266.jpg

Add last peice of custom cut foam to make sure nothing moves, then we're ready for the road!
IMG_0269.jpg

After all this, I think I'll rebuild it in an octangular format to save space. Then I need a table...
All those horror pictures of broken egg shells was the inspiration; guess I'm kinda a "belts and suspenders" type.

Comments

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Smoke2much,
    WOW!!!!!!!!![p]To be honest I think that is a bit of overkill but it sure is purdy overkill. I'm an overkill kinda guy so I might have to try building something like that myself one day.[p]H

• bobinaz
    bobinaz Posts: 44
    Options
    Smoke2much,[p]Like WOW!! Great job of protection. I wish I had your skill with "belt AND suspenders stuff". You could almost drop that from an airplane on an island and it would be OK. The guy on the island would never want to leave if he had an egg to cook with.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Smoke2much,
    You do nice work. No need to build another box, the one you have looks great and it will do the job perfectly. [p]I see Titebond glue, that's what I use. That's some serious equipment you have. Good to see another woodworker egghead. [p]Have fun!
    Clay

• galoot
    galoot Posts: 69
    Options
    ClayQ,
    My wife said pretty much the same thing, though I think it was because she wants some more furniture!
    In the fall, I'll build a table for the new small, as I got it primaraly for camping so no nest.