Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need some help fast

Options
Edemitch
Edemitch Posts: 196
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've had a pork shoulder on since midnight. About 45 minutes ago it was sitting pretty at 190, The heavens have opened up and big buckets of water are falling out of the sky. I've put an inverted glass bowl over the daisy wheel to keep the rain out. The dome temp is sitting at about 230 (down from 250). The Butt temp has fallen 2 degrees. Keep it on and see what happens? Take it off and finish in oven? This is only the second Butt I've done. Only had the Egg (Medium) for 2 weeks, so I'm a total newbie . Suggestions?[p]Ed

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    EdeMitch,
    You have restricted the air flow with the bowl. I can't imagine that much rain getting in the egg. Try to get 5 more degrees, but I think you can foil and wrap in towels and cooler it now.[p]Mike

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    EdeMitch, the egg works fine in rain. Make sure the glass bowl you put over the daisy wheel won't prevent the air from leaving the egg, need to keep the circulation (in lower vent, out daisy wheel) working. t

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Edemitch
    Options
    Thanks for the quick response Mike. I opened the bottom vent a little to try to compensate for the restricted air flow. I'll give it a little while and see if it comes back up. It's been sitting at 189 now for 30 minutes or better. This forum is great for us new guys (and girls)everyone is really helpful.[p]Thanks again[p]Ed

• Edemitch
    Options
    It actually sits really nice on the top tab and stainless handle. I opened up the bottom vent a little and I have a nice stream of smoke coming out of the inverted bowl.[p]Thanks for the quick response[p]Ed

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    EdeMitch,
    I have made a quick roof over the daisey with some foil wraped over the handle on the daisey.

• Unknown
    Options
    EdeMitch,[p]I have only cooked one Butt, that was yesterday. I took mine off at 190, foiled, wrapped in a towel then in the cooler for one hour. It was very moist and tender, just feel off the bone.[p]My two cents worth.
  • Edemitch
    Options
    Thanks for your help everybody. I pulled it off at 193 (13 hours). It's wrapped in foil and a towel and waiting to be pulled in a couple of hours. Now I have 4 racks of spare ribs on doing the 3-2-1- method. I have a bunch of family coming for dinner tonight. Figured the sky's have opened up and it's raining puppy's and kitten's

• Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    EdeMitch,
    I thought you were supposed to take it off at 190. This is the second time this week someone's talked about leaving it on longer. ???[p]Gwen

• Edemitch
    Options
    From what I've been ready here, I thought it was 195-200
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    Edemitch,
    It may be, but I didn't know that! I've always pulled mine off at 190 and it was just great. Probably continues to cook while it's cooling down enough for me to shred it.[p]Gwen