Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Weekend Update

Options
Kelly Keefe
Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
To steal a phrase.[p]Tonites BDA (Beef Damage Assesment): 1 T-Bone totally destroyed. Reloaded Humpty from last nights supper (more in a moment) and fired it up. Was climbing too fast, too high for this chicken so I put the daisy on. Big mistake. Couldn't get the dome temp back above 550°. About 10 minutes out from supper time put the 1" thick T-Bone on. 5 minutes, flipped, closed it down and let it dwell. Dwell. Well, it wasn't done to our tastes, we like it well, but it still got eaten. The dog will love me tomorrow when she gets the bone.[p]Last nites honkin' big pork chops (2" thick)were a huge success. I brined them for 2 1/2 hours and they were wonderful. I don't usually equate juicy with a pork chop but those were. Fellow newbies, if you haven't tried brining, you must.[p]Found a pizza stone, so tomorrow nights in honor of Spin. A ham and mushroom for the wife, a shrimp pizza for yours truely. Since I will already have the Egg fired up, Monday will be a pork butt.[p]Lord, what a weekend. Beautiful temps/humidity. Got to open the house and fire up the barbie. Even the dog is content.[p]Hope yours is the same.[p]Peace[p]Kelly Keefe
Jefferson City, MO

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Kelly Keefe,[p]
    You'll need more than "a" pizza stone for unburnt pizza. [p]A steak with a "dwell" normally requires a time-time-dwell. IE: 4 min "per" side and then a dwell period. You did 5 on one side than dwell. A 1" T-bone will cook pretty quick so you may have been tring to rush it too much. 1.5"-2" steaks are best for Egg'ing.[p]Tim

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Kelly Keefe,
    Well, just as I put my pizza in the egg, the heaven's opened up. Damn the bloody rain and wind! We've got a pizza to cook! Excelsior! Triumph! Pizza![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Kelly Keefe
    Options
    Tim M,
    Oh, I've got a plate setter too. So the stone will be up off the fire. What I don't have is a peel. My wife won't let me get one since I have a tendency to chase her around the store with it - grin![p]I agree that a 1 1/2" to 2" cut steak would be better. Problem is you pay through the nose for one of those at the local groceries. They like nice, neat 1" pre-packaged steaks around these parts. It's enough to frustrate you to death.[p]Getting fired up with the pizza tonight. The wife has been eyeing Spin's recipes. Originally she was going to do her own thing on the pizza dough (a la Alton Brown of FoodTV) but has changed her mind and will go with Spin's. She intends to do sauce from scratch and slowly simmer it this afternoon. I'm just afraid she'll catch on that SHE's doing the work - grin![p]Peace[p]Kelly Keefe
    Jefferson City, MO

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    peel.jpg
    <p />Kelly Keefe,[p]The peel on the right was my first. I made it from a masonite For Sale sign that I sanded to remove all the paint. Then cut it to size and glued two scrap strips to the handle to beef it up.[p]The peel to the left was bought from Katom.com for under $9. It's short handle makes it nice for Egging.[p]The pizza stone and a setter will do you a good pie! Enjoy.[p]Tim
  • Kelly Keefe
    Options
    Tim M,[p]I wish I was handy enough to be able to make something like that. Unfortunately I flunked shop![p]My wife opposes my purchase of a peel since I chase her around with it hitting her on the fanny going "Hut, hut, hut." Sort of like Peter O'Toole in Lawrance of Arabia - grin! (It's genetic, my father did the same thing to my mother....)[p]Looking forward to tonights double header.[p]Peace[p]Kelly Keefe
    Jefferson City, MO