Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

flare up

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just got my egg today and I couldn't be happier, but after testing it out by grilling steaks I found that opening it up is somewhat tricky. When I bought it they warned me to crack the lid a little bit before opening it fully, but apparently I wasn't careful enough. Wow! Blast of flames and heat, followed by the smell of burnt hair. I'm quickly beginning to think this thing may excel as a smoker, but will require serious care when used as a high heat grill.[p]Any thoughts?

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    jonah,[p]Always burp the egg 2-3 times before opening it all the way if the temps are over 300 or so.[p]To burp, lift the lid up 2-3 inches and listen for a slight "whoosh" sound. Then you should be safe to open it all the way.[p]Side note, you should do 5-6 lower temp cooks before really getting the temp over 350 to avoid melting the gaskets. A few lower temp cooks allow the adhesive to set.[p]Good luck and welcome to eggdom.
  • Eggmeister-disabled
    Options
    jonah,[p]Read the info on this forum about "burping" the egg.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    fl3.jpg
    <p />jonah,
    My thoughts are here: (wink)[p]TNW

[ul][li]Flashback![/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • bobinaz
    bobinaz Posts: 44
    Options
    jonah,[p]What I do to 'burp' my eggs(large & small) is to just before opening, I open the top vent all the way, open the bottom vent all the way. You can see the rush of heat and/or smoke escaping quickly out of the top. After 5 to 10 seconds or so, I know it is safe to open the egg up without any flashback or suprizes happening. Just make sure you set the vents back to the desired position when you close the top. That's how I do it and never had any burnt hairs.