Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pepper Grinder

Good Eats
Good Eats Posts: 136
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I would like to get a decent pepper grinder with the handle on top... Penzy's has one... is it any good? Are there any recommendations? I'd like to stay under $50 if possible.

Comments

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Good Eats,
    Be sure the pepper grinder has metal and not plastic grinding edges. The plastic wears out. Haven't bought a pepper grinder here but other products. Great service.

[ul][li]http://www.fantes.com/peugeot_pepper_salt.htm#stainless[/ul]
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Good Eats,
    I bought a Magnum after seeing it recommended here on the forum. If you want a serious amount of pepper output, it is the one. -RP

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    AZRP,
    that's my fave. i pimp it all the time. not sure they have a handle though. i do think they have an electric version. good for arthritis sufferers

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    AZRP,

[ul][li]Magnum[/ul]
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    Good Eats,
    i use a turkish coffee grinder for pepper in the kitchen and for the table for guests, for myself i have a set of perfex both salt and pepper which can be adjusted for big chunks of pepper.

[ul][li]coffee grinder[/ul]
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    AZRP,
    I have the smaller version and love it. Their pepper is pretty good too.

• Good Eats,
    I had a Olde Thompson grinder that I really liked. It had metal grinders as another poster has indicated is a good thing (sorry Martha). Anyway a small plastic part in the adjusting mcehanism broke. I emailed the company and sent them pix of the grinder. They wrote back and said to pick a new one from the web site and they would send it to me free of charge under their lifetime warranty. I did and they did. The new one is pretty good so I give them a plug here for having a good product and backing it up.

• Good Eats
    Rusty Rooster,
    Is this version electric... from the picture it looks as though it has a button... I am guessing since the two of you have recommended it, this is a fairly decent mill.

• Good Eats
    Rusty Rooster,
    Is this version electric... from the picture it looks as though it has a button... I am guessing since the two of you have recommended it, this is a fairly decent mill.

• hank
    hank Posts: 84
    I urge you to consider a small Perfex grinder. Simple design, good price (I think you can get a 3" mill under $50). I'm using the one my parents had when I was a small boy!
  • Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    Good Eats,
    Mine is not electric. You just hold the body & turn the top. I think the "button" you think you see is the large opening for pouring in peppercorns.

• icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Good Eats,[p]
    A lot of chefs use a peppermate[p][p]

[ul][li]link[/ul]
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Good Eats,[p]I have that exact model. What looks like a button in the pic is actual where you load the peppercorns. It has a twist-away cover.[p]This thing puts out a ton of pepper in one or two cranks. It is well worth the money.[p]I have not seen one with a handle, but the top on this one is large enough that is it easy to use. It turns easily and grinds effortlessly. The housing is black plastic so it is not a decorative piece, but it is highly functional.[p]I had one of the Peugeot models with the hand crank previously, and the Unicorn Magnum grinds much more efficiently.
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Good Eats,
    That's not a button, it's a hole for the pepper loading. It's black because there's a black sliding collar to open and close the opening--here it's closed. I've used this for years and love it.[p]But what I use most now is a set of one-handed electric grinders by Peugeot. Arthritis in my hands, especially thumbs, is really painful. Just press a soft rubber pad for it to work and really easy to adjust the grind just by twisting the bottom ring at eye level. And I like my grinds really fine.

Judy in San Diego
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    icemncmth,
    I've had two of those for at least 20 years, black for black peppercorns, and white (now kinda yellowed) for white peppercorns--boy, is that ever fragrant! The best way to use this is when you need a BIG measurement of ground pepper in a recipe. Otherwise it's too much trouble to take off the bottom every time you grind.

Judy in San Diego
  • DobieDad
    DobieDad Posts: 502
    Good Eats,[p]I picked up a Magnum following stike's recommendation and I love it. I keep it in the kitchen and use it mainly in food preparation.[p]But like fishlessman, I like to have different degrees of grind for different foods at the table, and the Magnum is a little tedious to adjust quickly.[p]I've had a William Bounds pepper mill for many years. It has a three position ring adjustment that allows me to click between a coarse, medium and fine grind. I keep that at the table, grind coarse for a green salad and quickly change to fine for other foods. It has a metal grinder mechanism.[p]I like having both the Magnum and Bounds, and use both frequently.[p]I didn't see the mill I have on the Bounds site, but here is an example that includes the adjustment ring (seen near the top).[p]I think I picked mine up at Bed, Bath and Beyond.[p]DD
    [ul][li]William Bounds Classic Pepper Mill[/ul]
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Good Eats,
    i have a trudeau pepper grinder when it wears out i will get a vic firth[p]happy eggin
    tb

[ul][li]vic firth[/ul]

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Good Eats,[p]Absolutely the best pepper mill out there is a brass Atlas mill. It's made in Greece. Every household in my extended family has one. THis is one source but I'm sure there are others. I think they come in three sizes.
    JimW

[ul][li]Atlas Mill[/ul]
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    JimW,
    By the way, the mill is worth the price.
    JimW

• AZRP,[p]Cutlery and More is the place to get the magnum. They have great customer service! I have the big and small Pepper grinder and I also have their small salt grinder. All excellent products