Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meatloaf on the BGE for a nice change of pace

Options
sprinter
sprinter Posts: 1,188
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Been lots of talk lately about pork butts, briskets, chicken etc. Thought I'd add my two cents about a relatively unknown or at least seemingly unspoken BGE meal, a meatloaf.[p]Last night I cooked one and I had forgotten myself what a great meal they make. The rough recipe is as follows:[p]2 pounds ground chuck
1 pound sage breakfast pork sausage
1 egg
1/2 cup (total) diced green and red pepper
1/2 cup diced red onion
1/2 cup italian bread crumbs (I had homemade, could use others)
3/4 cup ketchup
2-4 TBSP Worst.... (sp) sauce
1 cup shreaded sharp cheddar cheese
2 TBSP Fajita Seasoning[p]I cooked it indirect at about 325 until the internal temp was 170. It took about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. No wood chips added. This was a real nice change of pace from the steaks and chicken and pork that we've been cooking lately and the family really enjoyed it as well. Not too many things for which the kids (4 and 2) ask for seconds, this was one of them. Another one is grilled fish, go figure.[p]Have a great one. Ribs on tap this weekend sometime.[p]Troy

Comments

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    sprinter,
    I second the meatloaf meal. Was gonna do one this week but never got around to it. First time I was very pleased with the smokey flavor, not to mention the oven not heating up the house! My wife hates meatloaf but 17 yr old son and I love it. We go straight to sandwiches with bbq sauce!
    Excellent!

• Big Murth
    Big Murth Posts: 350
    Options
    sprinter,
    Quick question: Did you use a Polder (would it even sit in there initially?), or did you check your temp with an instant-read? Thanks! Big Murth
    p.s. Thinking about dicing up some green chile to add to/or in lieu of the bell pepper!!

• sprinter
    Options
    Big Murth,[p]For the first time in about 4 months I pulled out my dial thermometer and stuck it in about half way through the cook. It has a dial that is about 3 inches wide so I stick it in the meat so I can see it through the dome top. That way I can check the temp without having to open the egg. I don't have a polder and rarely use a thermometer at all. No particular reason, just have not really ever needed one.[p]I think the green chilis would be a great addition to the recipe. The rest of the family is fairly picky about how hot things are so I'm more careful when cooking for them.[p]Troy
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    sprinter, did you leave it in a bread pan to cook or did you just make it into a loaf and cook it just sitting on a pizza stone or something similar?

• sprinter
    Options
    Wise One,[p]Thanks for pointing that out, did not mean to leave it out. I have one of those adjustable V rack dealybops. It adjusts from completely flat to a V of about 20 degrees in small increments. Hope that makes sense. I lay it flat, cover it with foil and poke holes in the foil every couple of inches, then adjust the sides to about a 45 degree angle and place the meatloaf inside of that. Works out great and it allows the smoke to penetrate the whole loaf, not just the top. Sorry for the omission.[p]Troy
  • Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Wise One,
    I do mine in the same meatloaf pan I used to use in the oven. And when slicing, could see a nice ring where the smoke penetrated.
    If y'all aren't convinced yet, will report on the one I'm now hungry for and probably do tomorrow night.