Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

boneless leg of lamb too smokey

Options
drdonn
drdonn Posts: 19
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I fired up my medium egg, took dog for walk, temp got to 700, shut down vent half way to lower temp to 500, then put butterflied leg of lamb marinated in wine, garlic, basil and oregano on, meat side down for 10 min at 450. Doing well until I flipped it to fat side down, still at 450 degrees; egg started to smoke a lot, out of the top, and the gasket (need to replace after 5 yrs, but haven't gotten around to it yet). Meat was left fat side down for 8 minutes, then flipped back to meat side down for 2 more minutes until thermometer registered 132 degrees in thickest part. Pulled the meat and let it rest--came out perfect in appearance and texture, but surface had acidic, too-smokey taste--fine if you cut off the surface. Should I have cut off the fat layer before cooking? Change to indirect after flipping to fat side down? Any suggestions and comments will be most appreciated

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    drdonn,
    i prefer to do leg of lamb indirect over a drip pan. . ..you'll still get a good grilled flavor, but all that fat dripping directly on your fire will definitely add the greasy/smokey flavor ...next time give it a quick sear (1 - 2 minutes per side) direct, then stick your plate setter in and finish it indirect. . .

• drdonn
    drdonn Posts: 19
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Thanks--thought that was where I made my mistake!

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Good Lord, Max! You are a virtual encyclopedia of information........

• egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Options
    drdonn,
    I did a 4-12/lb leg of lamb tonight which came out great. I used indirect with a drip pan and a v-rack. Coked it 350 for about 2 hours, meat temp was about 150. No too smokey. I agree with mad max, the grease dripping on the coals caused your problem.[p]I marinate the lamb overnight with 1/2 cup of cider vinegar, 2 cloves of garlic, about a hand full each of fresh rosemary and peppermint from the garden that were nuked in a blender with 1/2 of water and 1/2 cup of red wine. All this with a tablespoon of splenda and some olive oil overnight and coarse ground black pepper.[p]Really comes out great.

1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • guava greg
    guava greg Posts: 139
    Options
    egret, kinda like a maxipedia?[p]Greg