Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

rib roast

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm new to this.Can someone tell me the best way to cook a 8 lb.prime rib roast.Please include temperature and time.Many thanks.
Scott Sloan

Comments

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    SCOTT SLOAN,[p]Primes are an absolute dream on the Egg and so easy. Best done in a rack over a drip pan for indirect cooking. figure about 15 minutes per pound at 375* for medium rare.[p]Many great recipes will follow. Mine is a simple rub of the roast with crushed garlic and then fresh ground pepper, kosher salt and perhaps good Hungarian paprika. I don't use wood chips on these.[p]Good luck,[p]K~G

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    SCOTT SLOAN,[p]Dr Chicken's recipe is a hit around here. However check out this archived post for a clarification of the recipe if you choose to do it.[p]Kenny G's directions will get you there as well and is real simple. No matter what direction you choose, just remember to let it rest for about 10 or so minutes after removing from the cooker.[p]Zip[p][p]

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    ribroast4.jpg
    <p />Scott:[p]I do mine direct. I give it a good sear at 600º dome on all sides. Then I set the vents for a 350º cook. I pull at an internal of 120º, and cover with foil for a short rest. Simple seasoning such as fresh ground pepper and kosher salt or Lawry's accent the natural meat flavor.[p]
  • Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    djm5x9,[p]Oh my - mouth in full drool mode![p]Jethro
  • Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    djm5x9,
    Like Archie Bunker used to say, Geeeez you just had to do that didn't you, Posting picks like that before I've eatin should be illegal. Good looking P-Rib. Now I've got a Labor Day menu I can do. Great Pic. I've seen it before and it still gets me wanting to run to the meatcutter.
    Painter

• Janet
    Janet Posts: 102
    Options
    djm5x9,
    I'm serious - my knees got weak at seeing that pic!
    Trip to store tomorrow!

• ColoradoCook
    Options
    SCOTT SLOAN,[p]I just fried my computer from all the drool. I'm bumming out, I going away to my parents place for a week; all they have is a gas grill.[p]CC
  • newsense
    newsense Posts: 32
    Options
    SCOTT SLOAN,I made Dr. Chicken's rib roast a couple of weeks ago, and it's as simple as it is delicious. The only advice I can offer is this: It will take longer than 15 minutes per pound... [p]I had a 4-pound roast and I cooked it at 550 for an hour. It was very, very rare once you got to the second slice. My wife and I like red meat, but this needed to be done a bit more. I suggest using the meat thermometer once you get up to the 15-minutes-per-pound threshold. Then keep cooking to the desired doneness.[p]Good luck,[p]Scott
  • newsense,[p]I use the 15 minutes/lb "rule" [plus 15 minutes overall] starting with a room temp roast. At this point the polder reads about 130-132 and gets to 135-8 after it has been "rested" for 10 minutes. This technique is only good for a ceramic cooker which delivers even heat from all angles. I couldn't do this when I had a metal box.[p]Harry

• Palisin
    Palisin Posts: 64
    Options
    djm5x9,
    NIIIIICE!

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Options
    Standing%20Rib%20Roast.jpg
    <p />SCOTT SLOAN,
    See the link to the recipe and pic of the results. It's the best Prime I've ever done.
    B D

[ul][li]Prime Rib Roast[/ul]