Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE questions

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK- I'm a Weber owner and ran across the Big Green Egg website while doing a recipe search. Reading through this forum, I am amazed/impressed at the fervcncy, fanaticism and helpfullness of this board. I'm having fun just reading it. This is great!
My Questions: How does the BGE differ from the Weber (fundamentally) and what made yall buy one for more than twice the price of a Weber?[p]Thanks for thoughtful responses.
Al

Comments

• EastBayAl,
    The resason I bought one is because a buddy of mine had one. I had never tasted food with the flavor the BGE adds. I can put my lump in the egg and fire it up, close the lid and it will hold it's heat for HOURS...I am talking 10+ hours with little messing with. You can grill, smoke, cook pizza...darn near anything you want. It's like riding a Harley...hard to explain but just something magical.

• EastBayAl,
    I like mine because I can fill it up with lump charcoal and cook low and slow for up to 20 hours and never touch it. and thats with about 5lb charcoal. some say up to 40 hours. Constant heat, very little clean up, about 4 cooks before you have to worry about the ashes. All food cooked on it has been fantastic from steaks to pulled pork and brisket and pizza you name it. its the best. last but not least this board will teach you anything you need to know about smoking and grilling. [p]

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    EastBayAl, it cooks very similar to a Weber but there are a coupel of major differences. 1) It retains more moisture in the food than a Weber. While this point may be debated by many, my opinion is that meat with the same "doneness" is more moist. 2) The BGE burns much less charcoal than the Weber. No more getting up to dump more charcoal in for your all-night slow cooks. 3) Not a big deal, but the BGE does not get as hot on its outside surface as a Weber. I have blistered myself accidentally touching a hot kettle. I have never done that with a BGE. 4) A BGE never rusts. [p]Is the food any better? I don't think so, but it sure makes it more enjoyable to cook for some reason. Of course, it could be something in the green ceramic that causes us to become compulsive. :-)

• Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    EastBayAl,
    I was a 25 year "kettle" user. One cook on my egg and I have never lit the kettle again. Also used lump for the first time when I got my egg and I NEVER buy anything but lump now. Long story short, there is really no comparison.

• EastBayAl,
    Put the Weber out on the curb for garbage pick-up and forget about it.

• Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    EastBayAl,
    I'm a newbie to the BGE so I can understand why you've asked. I own a Weber. I have cooked on it for over 20 years. I have a New Brunsfels offset smoker . I have cooked on it for over ten years. [p]I was fortunate enough to have a customer of mine who had received a mini BGE from one of his customers, he thought it was too small to do anything with so he asked if I wanted it.

I had read a lot of good things about the BGE and some not so good things, but for free it sounded like a good deal. My first weekend I decided to do a 4# butt. I followed the recommendations by posters on this site. The ease of cooking was unbelievable. It was like the Ron Popiel commercial. "Set it and forget it". I have never had food turn out so moist and tender with such little input. Since then I have added an XL to the family.[p]Plus the people on this site are the best. They care about peoples opinion of their favorite BBQ cooker. IMHO they are as excited about others success with the BGE as their own. [p]Other cookers are now collecting dust/rust and will be given to family members if they want them. My guess is they will become BGE owners once they taste what comes off mine. [p]I'm sure others will add their thoughts. If you do get one you will not regret it.[p]In the immortal words of fellow egghead Spring Chicken
    Mike " I have not regretted the bucks spent" in Abita[p]

• hank
    hank Posts: 84
    I was a Weber man for most of my life (51 now). I got a large BGE four years ago and I have never looked back. The ease of cooking on the thing is what got me. As people have said, you can stabilize it at 150 to 700 degrees and it will stay there forever with minimal attention (probably not cool to walk away from a 700 degree Egg, however). With a daisy wheel cap and some practice, you can control the temp to within a degree or two. With a Guru, you can cook for 16-20 hours in case you're doing a big brisket or a turkey or the like. The thing is so solid and well-built that your grandchildren will probably be using it when they are old.

With a Weber, most of your heat is lost through the metal. The ceramic of the Egg holds it all inside, so you use an unbelievably small amount of charcoal. Seriously, I've done a five-hour cook and used maybe a double handful of charcoal.

I had to make some adjustments moving from a Weber. Only lump charcoal, no briquettes, no lighter fluid, watch for flash-backs at high temps, and most importantly, learning to trust the Egg and enjoy yourself without fiddling with the thing.

Take the plunge!
  • jwirlwind
    jwirlwind Posts: 319
    EastBayAl,
    I guess the easy answer is one that uses the Weber has never seen or used a BGE. Once you have a BGE, you will understand the difference between a weekend warrior cook and a seasoned Chef. Get the Egg and join the professionals. [p]Chef Jerry

• Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    EastBayAl,
    Check out the site below. I have a Large & small BGE... haven't missed the Weber one day since I sold it :+)
    ~Pharmeggist

[ul][li]http://www.nakedwhiz.com[/ul]
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    website_tail_banner.png
    <p />EastBayAl,[p]East Bay...as in Bay Area?[p]If so, I would like to invite you down to our Eggs by the Bay store to cook on an Egg for yourself. [p]Before I bought my first Egg I had the same questions, wish a dealer would have made this offer to me at the time. [p]Just give me a call, 408-394-2471.[p]-Smitty

[ul][li]Eggs by the Bay Store[/ul]

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• fonchik
    fonchik Posts: 92
    SMITTYtheSMOKER,
    Did my friend Lynn get an Egg this weekend?
    I have not heard from her yet about her trip to see you.[p]~Linnea

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    fonchik,[p]Yes, she has a new Medium Egg being delivered to her home in Alameda Wednesday afternoon. [p]She is a serious BBQ Gal...and now she has crossed over to the "Green-side"-LOL[p]
    -Smitty[p]

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• fonchik
    fonchik Posts: 92
    SMITTYtheSMOKER,
    You should have talked her into a large. She will want to trade one of my larges for her Med some day I am sure...
    I am a single chick with 2 larges so I have enough room when I have parties at my house.[p]I will call her tonight.
    thanks for helping her out... I know she will be having fun and we will see her on here soon with lots of ideas.[p]~~Linnea

• JRPfeff
    JRPfeff Posts: 9
    EastBayAl,[p]I'll spray a little lighter fluid on the coals here. [p]I am all about Weber and just bought a used large egg. So far I've learned that the BGE heats up faster than a charcoal chimney, cooks as hot as the blazes, and I'm having pretty good luck learning to control temps in lower ranges. [p]There are a couple egg drawbacks I am seeing that someone can help clarify for me.[p]1) Grease & fat control - this seems to be imperative on the egg, but nothing more than an after thought on Webers. What happens if the drip pan is missed or overflows?[p]2) Multi-zone fires - In reading responses here, one theme I've seen is that after searing meat, it must be removed while the egg temperature is made to go down if you want to roast. Can a multi-zone fire be achieved on a BGE? This may not be much of a problem, since the temperature response of my BGE seems to be outstanding.[p]3) What is with this archaic message board format? Tons of good info is in here, but this is so hard to use. Have they ever thought of updating to more modern forum software? Or how about an addition to TNW site to make it comparable to TVWBB - a one stop shop for all things BGE?[p]Jim
    [ul][li]TVWBB[/ul]
  • Avocados
    Avocados Posts: 465
    Fundamenatally,[p]Benefits of Ceramic vs. Steel cooker:[p]The ceramic mass insulates and retains heat better than metal. This helps maintain a more constant temp (like a brick pizza oven)[p]More efficient, uses less charcoal to maintain same temp. A given amount of fuel will last much longer in the ceramic cooker. Also, less amount of airflow thru the cooker does not dry out the meat nearly as much. No water pan needed.