Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

guaranteed tender BGE brisket

Options
otis
otis Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
help! how does one get guaranteed 100% tender BGE brisket each time? we usually prefer the flat end, covered with mustard plus dry rub. my wife prefers marinated brisket from the oven which comes out tender each time using 300 deg for 6 hours. my experience in the EGG has not always been tender. usually do it in the BGE 6 hours @ 225-250 deg. use a "polder". what polder temp should i get to? any any other suggestions would be much appreciated. thanks.

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    otis, Low and slow...fat side up, 220 to 250 degree's till the internal on the thick flat is 190 - 195F degrees..Test for doneness with a fork twist..If still firm allow it to rise to 200F..I have had brisket almost too mushy in the extreme.
    Different briskets will arrive at different temps at the finish so watch the internal temps and do a quick check!
    If you wish to rush it, you can foil wrap it after it reaches 160F internal and cook for another hour or so. I cannot give you a time on the foil as I have never used it.
    Good luck on the next one..
    C~W[p]

• TOROLNSTND
    Options
    otis,
    If you want GUARANTEED tender from the BGE, just remember the most important step in the process, COOK IT IN THE BGE.
    Iv'e done a couple fast briskets (6 hours) and they've been very tender, but the best is a my 22 hour, Egg at 200-220 deg, int meat temp 190. Much the same consistency as pulled pork and delicious. Never had a mushy experience. I use my own brown sugar based dry rub, and a V-rack that has a built in detachable drip pan and resevoir that I got from Lechters. The drip pan is only about 3 inches wide so most of my brisket is exposed for a direct cook. No burning or drying out of the meat, and about 70-75% yield when done (as opposed to 40-50% when compared to other methods).

• ColoradoCook
    Options
    TOROLNSTND,[p]A brown sugar based rub on a brisket sounds awesome. Do you have a recipe you can share?[p]Thank you,[p]CC

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    TOROLNSTND,[p]Are you cooking a whole packer brisket or a trimmed flat? The reason I ask is only 25% loss is pretty low, but if you are cooking a fully trimmed flat I could see such a low number.[p]Ash