Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baking sweet potatoes

WessB
WessB Posts: 6,937
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I don`t believe I have ever done it......I got some extremely fresh and very large ( the size of 2 or 3 normal potatoes ) ones...I am thinking just bake them like a regular potatoe, but have no idea how to determine when they would be done...any ideas???? Wrapped in foil with a little butter?????? Do you check internal temps???[p]Wess

Comments

• ArtieQ
    ArtieQ Posts: 65
    WessB,
    I don't wrap them in foil. Just a coating of oil and on an indirect setup. I don't even know what tempt a tater should be. I just stick'em with a fork and if it slides in and out easily then its done. ;)
    butter, cinnamon, and brown sugar, yummmmm.....

• Ronbo
    Ronbo Posts: 90
    WessB,
    I love Sweet Potatoes on the egg!!! I just put on with whatever is cooking for about an hour. They get really soft (and burn marks on the skin from being cooked directly) when they are done. Then cinnamon/sugar and Butter on them. Man it doesn't get any better. If I had to guess the time and temp it would be 350-400 for an hour (but honestly just cook them till they are really soft). Cook it with a spatchcock chicken and they will be done about the same time.

• WessB, we butter them and put them in a foil pan and cook them on the plate setter legs down. Fresh ones do not take as long as store bought, so I would say about and hour and a half at 350 should do it. We feel them to tell when they are done. Good luck.

• 61chev
    61chev Posts: 539
    WessB,
    I have done them just like regular a tater wrap in foil with a little evoo salt and pepper when you can squeeze they are great
    Gerry

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    WessB,[p] You can put all the oil, salt and pepper on the outside of a sweet tater you want. It will not penetrate the skin. People will tell you that the smoke will penetrate the skin, but it won't. The flavor of the sweet tater comes from the carmelization of the sugar with-in.[p]We here in the real south brush them lightly with oil to keep the skins soft while cooking. I usually wash mine off and wrap them in foil while still wet. Has the same effect.[p]They get baked at 350 (indirect) till the are easy to squeeze. Let them sit for a short while. The skin should peel right off with your fingers. Mash them. Add some butter, sugar and cinnamon. [p]YUMMM!!! Best part is even with the butter and sugar they are better for you then white taters. [p]Next lesson: Sweet Tater Pie.. :)
  • Buckethead
    Buckethead Posts: 285
    WessB,
    We like'm pealed sliced or cut into wedges, tossed with olive oil then a dusting of Shakin the Tree. Foil and place on the Egg for appx 30 min 350. Makes for a simple side dish.
    Doug

• Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    WessB,
    I'd follow Celtic Wolf's instructions since he is a TRUE SOUTHERNER.[p]The only changes I'd make would be to omit the sugar and cinnamon. If the potatoes are fresh they should quite sweet and only need a little butter, salt and pepper.

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Morro Bay Rich,[p] I believe my Father-in-law refers to me as a Southern Fried Yankee.. [p] I have been here so long now I have to think about my Yankee accent to actually use it. :)
  • double L
    double L Posts: 90
    WessB, If you have a bbq guru they tell you how to cook a sweet potato for your first guru cook I tied it and it worked well LRL

• AnnaG
    AnnaG Posts: 1,104
    WessB,[p]I am still trying to figure out how to cook this on the egg. It is wonderful in the stove. I was surprised at how good this was...[p]http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_34170,00.html?rsrc=search[p]Thanks...
    ...AnnaG...

• AnnaG,
    here's how you do it in the egg:[p]Preheat egg, indirect setup, to 350 degrees F.
    Peel and cut the sweet potatoes into 1-inch pieces and put in a 9 by 13 baking dish. In a small bowl whisk together olive oil, honey and lemon juice. Pour mixture over potatoes and toss to coat. Sprinkle with the salt, and bake, stirring occasionally, for about 1 hour, until potatoes are tender. [p]

• AnnaG
    Rick's Tropical Delight,[p]I can't seem to get the potatoes tender. I put the placesetter legs down and pizza stone on top. I then put the grate and then my dish. I am wondering if I need the pizza stone? Maybe that is where I am messing up...[p]Thanks...
    ...AnnaG...

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    AnnaG,
    Have you tried cooking them longer than an hour until soft?

• AnnaG
    Richard,[p]I tried a little over an hour last night. Not sure how long they were on as I was getting my whole chicken ready. I want to say they were on about 1.5 hours, but not sure...
    That is why I thought I needed to remove the pizza stone, I wasn't sure I was getting enough heat to them. PS, I was cooking at about 375... I am just perplexed as to how to get them to cook through...[p]Thanks...
    ...AnnaG...

• AnnaG,
    try plate setter, legs up with grid on top and pan on the grid. or use a disposable grill topper screen and just put the potatoes on that. bump up the dome temp to 375, and cook till fork tender.[p]i usually just cut them in half and put the stuff on top and in slits cut in the flesh and put right on the grid cut side up. the skin holds all the good stuff from dripping out.

• AnnaG
    Rick's Tropical Delight,[p]Thanks very much for the suggestion. I will definitely give that a shot...[p]Thanks...
    ...AnnaG...

• 15jul07-025.jpg
    <p />AnnaG,
    they look like this when they're almost done... turkey breast, corn, zucchini garnish optional.

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    WessB,
    I like to follow the basic recipe that was in Dr. BBQ's first book. I have never used the exact ingredients, my my modification has always been well received. [p]Cut the Sweet Potato, lengthwise, into fourths. Coat with EVOO. Mix your favorite BBQ rub 50/50 with brown sugar and coat the cut sides of the potato. Form the pieces back together and wrap in heavy foil and cook at 350-400. Coook until very soft. Time is going to depend on size, but figure on around 1.5 hours for a tater big enough to feed two.

• AnnaG
    Rick's Tropical Delight,[p]I don't think I will come anywhere close to what you do, but I will just settle with done sweet potatoes... You do a great job with the pics... I hope the food taste half as good as the photos look...[p]Thanks...
    ...AnnaG...

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    WessB,
    We raised our own sweet potatoes on the farm back in another life. We stored them in a hay loft of the barn and sprinkled white lime powder over them to keep them from sprouting. They would keep that way for months. My grandmother baked them almost daily in a wood burning stove that was always hot. I would guess about 400° to 500°. She just stuck them in the oven in a pan. No oil or salt or pepper. When she took them out they would be sitting in a pool of dark brown sugar that cooked out of them. The shells would be dry and separated from the meat.[p]We made our own butter too so we added butter and that was it. Better than homemade ice cream.[p]Later in the day we could grab up a cold sweet tater and take it with us to eat later. Hot or cold, they were like desert.[p]Now you've got me want'n some sweet tater.[p]Spring "Some Things You Don't Forget" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• duckegg
    duckegg Posts: 267
    Ronbo,
    Right on! They are a can't miss cook, almost. We just throw them on naked in a little aluminum foil boat with whatever else we have on the grill. Take them off when they start to get wrinkly. I have never tried it while TRexing but would probably work fine. A little butter is all you need.