Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long will Charcoal Burn at 230?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am going to try the Butt recipe on the bge site. The recipe says I need to cook at dome temp of 230 for 18 hours. If I fill the coal to the top of the fire box, about how long (considering grade of the coal) can I expect the coal to go? Will I need to refill it?

Comments

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Options
    Timothy Logan,
    Run it to the top of the fire ring, large pieces on bottom, 250 dome should last longer than the butt needs if the air flow is good. The rest can be used for another cook.

• guava greg
    guava greg Posts: 139
    Options
    Timothy Logan,[p]It will last longer than that. No adding charcoal needed. This is assuming your using BGE lump or equivalent. Not sure about briquettes..[p]Aloha,[p]Greg
  • guava greg
    guava greg Posts: 139
    Options
    Timothy Logan,[p]It will last longer than that. No adding charcoal needed. This is assuming your using BGE lump or equivalent. Not sure about briquettes..[p]Aloha,[p]Greg
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Timothy Logan,[p]Before you get too far into anything use a dome temp of 250º it's a lot easier to maintain and won't make a bit of difference in the finished product.[p]Figur 1 and a half - two hours per pound.[p]Fill your firebox all the way to the top and then some.[p]And, as the Celtic Fox is fond of saying, once you close the top don't pick it up until your remote says 190º - 200º when it's done.[p]
    Good luck and keep us posted.

[ul][li]Elder Ward method[/ul]
  • KevinH
    KevinH Posts: 165
    Options
    Timothy Logan,[p]With a large BGE, you should be able to burn for 24 hours without adding lump. More or less depending on which brand of lump you have. No way you should run out after 18 hours.[p]The actual cooking time will depend on how large a butt and how much marbling is in it. Figure 1.5 - 2 hours per pound on average, but each butt is different and it's done when it's done. Mine have gone anywhere from 14-24 hours.[p]After 12-15 hours or so, you may notice the temperature dropping as the fire grate holes get plugged with ash. Make a "wiggle stick" out of a metal coat hanger by straighening it and bending one end so it makes a right angle with about 4 inches sticking up. Going in through the lower vent, insert the end of the coat hanger up through each hole in the fire grate and wiggle it. You will notice ash falling out of the holes. Wiggle most or all of the holes and then close the lower vent back to the previous opening. The egg should return to temp shortly.[p]-Kevin
  • icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    Timothy Logan,[p]I use Ozark Oak and I have had 30 hours out of a full firebox...
  • jwirlwind
    jwirlwind Posts: 319
    Options
    Timothy Logan,
    A full load of lump will last as long as anything you will ever smoke on the Egg and then some.[p]Chef Jerry

• Unknown
    Options
    Timothy Logan,[p]I did a 28 hour burn on teh fourth... used very little BGE lump and had very little BGE ash. I built the fire by following nakedwhiz directions... starting with the two largest pices in the bag on bottom center... then loaded next largest pieces and so on... until smaller pieces were up top... placing each piece in by hand and keeping it flat as possible. I hardly used half the lump. I started the fire up slow and let it creep up to 220. I did a 20 hour butt for pulled pork and then slow cooked some ribs afterwards... I then killed fire off and use it four more times.. twice to t-rex steaks at 700 degrees... and I still had lump left over... Keep the daisy wheel almost shut... you'll burn slower.
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Timothy Logan,
    main things, use dry lump and no used lump, clean out the egg of ash, don't go below 250 dome. I have done 250 for more than 12 hours, I don't place lump around, I pour in from the bag, make sure the 250 holds for 3/4 of an hour before adding wood chunks and meat. Everything should be fine

• NU2BBQ
    NU2BBQ Posts: 98
    Options
    Timothy Logan, I just did my first brisket over the weekend and I had the Egg running for 30 hours straight at 235 grid. I used Wicked Good Weekend Warrior Lump and I still have usable lump in the Egg.