Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Catfish?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone got a good recipe for grilling catfish filet's? How long, what temp, raised or regular grid, direct or indirect? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Steeler Fan
    Steeler Fan Posts: 395
    Options
    Dyehard, depending on size then the answers will be more accurate. I think a fillet about an 1 in thick would cook in about 10 minutes total. Fillet's can be either coooked blackened (cast iron skillet) or grilled. I think Car Wash Mike had a good one a while back. Just query the archives there are as many variations as tastes. I place mine in a sizzling plate with some EVOO and butter and DP Jamaican rub.

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Dyehard,
    Enjoy.[p]Mike

[ul][li]Catfish[/ul]
  • River Griller
    Options
    Dyehard,
    I plank them with Alder planks, EVOO and your choice of seasoning (blacken seasoning works great) at 350-400 takes about 20 min until flakey.

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    Dyehard,[p]My wife has taken to Chef Prudhomme's blackening spice on catfish - a quick wash of melted butter (which cools and stays on) with the spice (DP probably has one that'll work also) and then tossed on an iron skillet at the highest temp you can stand. Make sure they are done though - uncooked catfish is pretty tough.
  • Popsicle
    Popsicle Posts: 524
    Options
    Dyehard,
    I do my fillets on a raised grid direct at about 375 starting with what was the skin side up. I just coat them with Italian dressing, season with your favorite rub. Turn them once after about 4 minutes. After turning, I cover them with chopped cilantro then place thin sliced lime on the cilantro. Cook until done, about 4 more minutes depending on fillet thickness.
    If you want the fillets with a little crust on outside, follow same procedure except cook at 500 for shorter duration. It will turn out great.
    Popsicle

Willis Tx.
  • TheHulk
    TheHulk Posts: 157
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,[p]I love blackened fish but yet to try it myself...thanks for directing to your earlier post. I think I am going to give it a try this weekend.[p]The Hulk