Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Some General Questions

Options
JimF
JimF Posts: 80
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As I read through the forum I have some general questions:[p]What is a fattie?[p]Any web sites with video showing how to trim different meats? I have read here about trimming a brisket and the fat cap but I am not quite sure how to actually do the trimming.[p]How do you cook bacon wrapped scallops since it would seem to me that the bacon would take a lot longer to cook than the scallop?[p]For those with a web site, who do you use to host your web site and is it expensive? Any good books on developing a web site?[p]Thanks,
Jim

Comments

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Options
    JimF,[p]I'll take a stab at a few of your ?'s-[p]-A fatty is a sausage roll, usually meatloaf like in appearance.[p]-I always try to trim the fat cap down to a 1/4" on the brisket, I don't know of any web-sites off hand to quide you too for this task.[p]-Bacon wraps...I hold them over the hot coals to finish the bacon off. Oh what a combination of flavors they are.[p]-I use Go Daddy for all my web-sites, good tech support and easy to use & maintain. (EggsbytheBay.com / SantaClaraValley.us).[p]Hope that helps,[p]-Smitty

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    JimF,[p]You've never smoked a fatty?? Heheee. Here is my Fatty 101 page.[p]Positioning of the bacon is the key so it protects the scallop. I don't cook those so someone else will have to help out with the particulars.[p]For my cookin' site I started with a blog format, which is free. I've never moved to anything more advanced. I put each recipe or article on it's own page. Mine is through Blogger.com but I also have one I'm playing with through WordPress which is very easy to set-up and navigate through.[p]~thirdeye~

[ul][li]Fatties[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
  • hank
    hank Posts: 84
    Options
    Jim,
    For the bacon-wrapped scallops, you might try what I do and wrap pieces of paper-thin prosciutto around the scallops. The bacon flavor is there, but it is milder and doesn't overpower the scallops. It also cooks very quickly.

Hank
  • hank
    Options
    Jim,
    For the bacon-wrapped scallops, you might try what I do and wrap pieces of paper-thin prosciutto around the scallops. The bacon flavor is there, but it is milder and doesn't overpower the scallops. It also cooks very quickly.

Hank
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    thirdeye, I could never understand bacon with scallops, sure taste good together. But why attach something that cooks slow to something that cooks fast. For me that's a recipe for disaster since I like crispy bacon. [p]Maybe better to pan fry the scallops in bacon fat. Oh no, I feel a spike in my cholesteral coming....LOL![p]

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    ScallopKabob.jpg
    <p />JimF,
    I cook my scallops direct on a raised grid now for the reasons you brought up. I use prscruitto(sp) instead of bacon. It gets crisper faster so I don't over cook the scallops. Here's an old scallop picture to help you out. DP's Raging River is excellent on scallops. Good luck, Tom

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    JimF,
    The Naked Whiz Publishing Empire is hosted on yahoo. They have different priced plans. If you don't mind ads or popups etc. you can find free webhosting sites. But Yahoo has a free plan, and plans for 4.95, 8.95 and 11.95. If you find yourself getting more fancy/demanding, the have "small business" plans for 11.95, 19.95 and 39.95 per month. My website is on the 19.95/month small business plan. I have no problems, they provide tools, stats, etc. I am sure there are other cheaper places out there that may have killer tools and stuff, but I've been happy with Yahoo. My site loads pretty damn fast (a hell of a lot faster than some websites like Citibank, lol!) and is almost always up. FWIW.... Good luck! [p]Oh, and about books, I learned by looking at web pages and I code all my own by hand. Stupid, stupid, stupid! But it worked for me. I think I bought a Dummmies book or another brand to learn some stuff, but mostly from looking at what others do.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    JimF,
    All good questions, Jim. I'm still trying to figure out what "woosday" is. On your question on bacon/scallops, what I do for scallops is the same as what I do when I cook bacon wrapped shrimp. I start out by warming/cooking bacon in the microwave, pan or egg. Then while it is still pliable and opaque, I wrap the seafood and then onto the egg they go. There's always enough bacon fat to flavor the shrimp or scallop and IMHO, I believe the more cooked bacon adds a better flavor. I typically brush on some BBQ sauce and that allows the seafood to not dry out so quickly. I just made 20lbs. of canadian bacon and I plan to use that to wrap with next time. Egg on!

• Buster Dog BBQ
    Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
    Options
    JimF,
    Virtualwebberbullet.com has a lot of information on trimming pieces of meat. [p]I do my own web design and hosting. There are lots of services out there if you dont mind some stuff like pops, selling your info to 3rd parties, etc. I do like the Wordpress blogs though. Very easy and I configured mine to post photos from my cell phone directly to the blog and email directly to the blog. [p]I like the blog for BBQ stuff because it is so much easier to search and organize then a traditional site.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    tjv,[p]I've seen some pretty pictures of wrapped scallops. I have wondered about making pig candy, cutting it into squares and spearing it and a grilled scallop on the same toothpick....[p]I have had water chestnuts (marinated in soy) wrapped in bacon and grilled. They are good. Pig nads. LOL[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • hank
    Options
    Big'un,

To clarify Woosday...it's named in honor of a long-time Egger whose nick was "Woodoggies." It has become that one day each week when Eggers post their favorite pictures. Some are of Egged food or Egging activities, and some are just favorite snaps.

Hope this helps.

Hank
  • wobin
    wobin Posts: 211
    Options
    tjv,
    Nuke the bacon till it's 9/10's done and still bendable then wrap whatever your cooking. I've done that for pork tenderloin medallions. Yummy![p]Cheers, Glenn

• guava greg
    guava greg Posts: 139
    Options
    JimF,[p]Try websiteanimal.com I really like it![p]I use it for my guava wood website.[p]aloha,[p]Greg
  • JimF
    JimF Posts: 80
    Options
    Thanks to everybody for your replies. I learn something new about the BGE just about everyday at this site. My mom even asks me now how the egg is doing and what I am cooking this weekend.