Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

another fattie question

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK, now I know what a fattie is and it seems like a must do but the pics show them right on the grid. No drip pan?
Thanks

Comments

• hayhonker
    hayhonker Posts: 576
    Options
    proudpapa56,
    I would say USE a drip pan. Them things render a LOT of fat.[p]You'll have to do a serious burn-off if you let fatties drip all over your lump.

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    proudpapa56,
    I cook mine on a raised grid, at low temps (try for <300, but I am not too fussy), and I do not use a drip pan.[p]I have never had a problem and I have cooked 3-4 at a time.[p]These things are great to have on hand in the freezer. They are good sliced, in ABT's, cooked with Eggs (mixed in or fried separately), and my personal favorite is as a substitute for Canadian bacon in Eggs BenedicT!!!! YUM

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    b3b7f6b1.jpg
    <p />proudpapa56,[p]Yes, a drip pan. Standard indirect with a normal drip pan or rig up a special one. [p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • guava greg
    guava greg Posts: 139
    Options
    4516749996.jpg
    <p />proudpapa56,[p]No drip pan used. but you could I guess. I like to let it drip on the chicken.[p]Aloha,[p]Greg
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    proudpapa56,[p]I did my first fattie the other night. I did use a drip pan and put 2 cups of pineapple juice in it. I cooked it at 300 degrees for almost 3 hours until the Fattie reached 180 degrees...It was delicious..[p]Kim Youngblood
    (aka vidalia1)

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    e3ee08c8.jpg
    <p />Hey Greg,[p]I'll have to try the raised direct self basting chicks. I love those smells coming off of the fire on the raised cooks.[p]~thirdeye~ [p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery