Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First the Good news!

Bigbawb
Bigbawb Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Everyone! Well, the good news is I got my SECOND BGE for my birthday!My first is a medium- this one is a small and I don't know if I'm doin somethin wrong or what - I'm having a HELL of a time openin and closin the lid- sure not like my other one -for sure anybody got any advise or suggestions?Thanx as always Bb

Comments

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Bigbawb,[p]Congrats on the new toy!. The hinges on the Small and especially the Mini Egg come pretty snug from the factory. Use a good cleansing lubricant, such as Lubit or WD40 and it will loosen up in no time.[p]K~G

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Bigbawb, Try some good silicon lub in the joints, and if that doesn't work, call BGE, explain the problem, and have them test flex a new one and send it to you. The problem is the rivets being clinched to tight at the factory. Not so hot.
    BGE...1-800-939-EGGS
    C~W[p]

• Bigbawb, and the mechanic in me overlooked the wonderful gift..congratulations and many great cooks on it.. I like the small for the short quick fire ups and the proximity to the flame for steak and burgers..It does a excellent job grilling.
    And reverts to low and slow for the long term also..!
    Cheers..C~W[p]

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,869
    Bigbawb, I, as some others, had the very same problem with the hinges on my small and try as I did I could never get it to open correctly despite all the advice given. I finally called Ed Fisher himself and he shipped out a replacemnet band for free though I had to pay the postage. That band lasted less than one month when one of the rivets broke so I called Ed Fisher again. This time the band cost me nothing including no postage. I've been using it for maybe six months now without a hitch. My only advice is get it soon so you don't develop an attitude against using the small as it is a wonderful addition to your toy box!
    PS to ChefRD, you gotta call Ed!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Bigbawb,
    The hinge on my small was pretty stiff when I got it. It loosened up pretty good after about a month with no problems.
    JimW