Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

lump

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am new here and just started using the bge
cooked a few times and using bge lump
no one seems to talk about their lump
is bge lump the consenus lump here i would like to hear
what other people use and what they think about their lump

Comments

• Good Eats
    Good Eats Posts: 136
    Options
    topper,
    I personally use Cowboy... many here don't seem to like it but it is the only thing available to me... every now and then I can get some Royal Oak from Wal-mart but it's slim pickin's here in Tidewater VA... I personally like Cowboy... seems to have a good ratio of large, medium and small chunks, little ash and light smoke.

• Unknown
    Options
    topper, I'm gonna try and post a lnk which you might find interesting. I found that the Cowboy burned VERY fast & hot in a kettle but perhaps it would do well in the Egg.

[ul][li]Lump ratings[/ul]
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    topper,
    i like wicked good comp blend because you taste more of the smoking wood thats added, i also like ozark oak because it adds a great flavor all on its own. the lump i miss is mapleleaf because of how good it smelled while burning in the pit. its getting hard to get any of those now around here.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eggecutioner
    Eggecutioner Posts: 628
    Options
    topper,[p]I use Royal Oak brand lump. Mostly because it is available all year long at Gordons Food Service (GFS) in the midwest. It is made is different countries, which sometimes has objectionable smoke/spark characteristics unless it is the USA version. It cost about $9.00 per 20# bag. Occasionally Walmart has Royal Oak lump near me in 10# bags for about $5.50 per bag. Also, BGE charcoal is made by Royal Oak and is rumored to be the cream off the top of the lump pile.
  • Unknown
    Options
    topper,[p]I think many believe BGE lump is too expensive at $18 a bag. I buy U.S. made Royal Oak which is about $12-14 for a 20# bag depending where you live. Many also do buy Wicked Good Warrior Blend, B&B, etc. Go to Naked Whiz site for a lump review database as there are tons to look at. [p]Howard

• FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Options
    topper, I just started using Kirkland from Costco. It's as good as Royak Oak, IMHO, and a few bucks cheaper.
    Mike

• Unknown
    Options
    Howard,
    BGE is $21.95 for 20# in LA (at both BBQs Galore and independent dealer) ouch!

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    fishlessman,[p] I get Maple Leaf at a ditributor for 12 bucks CDN. If you want I can ask them where and how much it would be to US.[p]Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Fingers
    Fingers Posts: 37
    Options
    topper, Like "Good Eats" I use mostly Cowboy as it is easy to get and the most reasonable here in Mich

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    topper,[p]Do check out the Whiz's site, as linked in the previous post. It will give you a good idea about the differences between various brands. The ease of lighting, the duration of the burn, the amount of sparks emitted at high temperatures, etc vary somewhat depending on the wood(s) used to make the lump.[p]Royal Oak and Cowboy are available to me just down the street a mile or so. I mostly use Royal Oak for lo-n-slo cooks, and the Cowboy for faster and/or higher temperature cooks. The BGE lump I've used (which I believe is made by Royal Oak) had a fairly large amount of large lumps, which is desirable for long cooks. However, I have to drive at least 10 miles to get any, so I go with RO. [p]I do buy any brand I find, just to try them out. And, as I am using about 250 lbs. a year, I know it won't go to waste.
    I hope I stumble into something comprable to the now unavailable Wicked Good competition blend.[p]happy eggin'
    gdenby

• FV-Egger
    FV-Egger Posts: 31
    Options
    Little Steven,[p]Where are you finding it for that little? I'm paying almost $20 CDN at my local Home Hardware...
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Little Steven,
    i think the shipping would kill the deal, the supplier i use gets the lump to a distributer near me and i buy by the pallet and i get a pretty good rate that way, still have a pallets worth of comp blend left im working thru. you guys are lucky to have that lump and at a good price too.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Unknown
    Options
    Good Eats,
    If your ever near Urbanna,go over to "Something Different"
    They have the Wicked lump Weekend warrior 22lb for $16.00

• Unknown
    Options
    Royal Oak does make BGE char. I prefer Royal Oak over BGE, last time i used BGE found a huge rock in it, havent bought any since
  • Little Steven
    Options
    FV-Egger,[p] I get it from Nella Cutlery in Mississauga. They have a six bag minimum but thats about a month's supply for me. The barbeque store I use is closing down and they directed me to their supplier. I don't know if Nella has an outlet out your way or not. Like fishlessman said the shipping from ON would be killer.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BBQ Savant
    BBQ Savant Posts: 22
    Options
    topper,
    I use Best of the West. $12.99 for 40 lbs at Smart & Final

• FV-Egger
    Options
    Little Steven,[p]Yeah, I pretty much assumed it would be from such a supplier in Ontario... too bad, guess I'll just have to keep my ear to the ground. :) I can, however, get the 20 pound bags of Royal Oak (American made, not S-A) at Canadian Tire for a more reasonable $14...
  • Little Steven
    Options
    FV-Egger,[p] I have not been able to get any but Basques out of NB or PQ is supposed to be great stuff as well. Somebody on this forum works for them.[p]http://www.bbqtalk.ca/forums/[p]Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• FV-Egger
    Options
    Little Steven,[p]Yeah, I don't have those options here... Seems the BBQ scene out in BC is slow to catch up to those out east. Oh well, I do well with the Maple Leaf and Royal Oak I can get. :)
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    calibrad,[p]Wow... BGE lump only $12.50 a bag here in Atlanta.
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Posts: 319
    Options
    new2egg2,[p] My selling dealer sold me BGE lump for 26.95 a bag (20lbs.) But he only did it once!