Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Help on cookin' a picnic .

Big'unBig'un Posts: 5,909
edited 7:05AM in EggHead Forum
Howdy,
I presently have 2 each 9.5lbs picnics on my large BGE. Started last night at 11:00pm. Cooked til 1:00pm at 194 degrees. internal temp now at 161. I've stoked BGE to 260. My question is "what now?"..just patients? I was reading that I need to get internal temp up to 200 to have pulled pork. Do i need to stoke egg temp higher? will I be able to eat it tonight? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·

Comments

• onelegchefonelegchef Posts: 119
    Big'un,
    kick your fire up to 275-300. pull butts wrap in foil, add a little coca-cola and let cook for a couple more hours. when the butts get to 185-195 pull, let rest 30-45 minutes pull and enjoy.

·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,303
    Big'un,
    you can get the temp up to 300 to get them done faster. next time do the cook at a higher temp, 194 is too low, you want 225 at the grill level atleast. the dome temp would be at 250 and those picnics would be just about done now

·
  • drbbqdrbbq Posts: 1,152
    onelegchef,[p]I think 185 is pretty low for pulled pork.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
    ·
  • Big'unBig'un Posts: 5,909
    fishlessman,
    Thanks for the input. I thought that temp,194, was awful low. I read it on pg 53 3rd paragraph on link below. Not making excuses, But when the line read how difficult it is maintaining a 194 temp overnight....I just had to do it. Yes I know, its B-B-Q not E-G-O..LOL. Thanks for the help.

[ul][li]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/WiseOneRecipes.pdf[/ul]
    ·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,303
    Big'un,
    ive done that cook, thats a 22-24 hour cook for the picnic you have. there really is no reason to cook it that low. when i recomend those directions i always state that the dome should be kept at 250 degrees for the cook, a little higher towrds the end doesnt hurt it. those picnics will have more fat in them than a regular butt, but i like the flavor better from a slow cooked picnic.

·
  • BajaTomBajaTom Posts: 1,269
    drbbq,
    Just got your new book today. I will look through it tonight. Good luck to you. Tom

·
  • drbbqdrbbq Posts: 1,152
    Bajatom,[p]Thanks!
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
    ·
  • SaucehogSaucehog Posts: 30
    fishlessman,
    What is a picnic?[p]Thanks,
    Saucehog

·