Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help on cookin' a picnic .

Options
Big'un
Big'un Posts: 5,909
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy,
I presently have 2 each 9.5lbs picnics on my large BGE. Started last night at 11:00pm. Cooked til 1:00pm at 194 degrees. internal temp now at 161. I've stoked BGE to 260. My question is "what now?"..just patients? I was reading that I need to get internal temp up to 200 to have pulled pork. Do i need to stoke egg temp higher? will I be able to eat it tonight? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• onelegchef
    onelegchef Posts: 119
    Options
    Big'un,
    kick your fire up to 275-300. pull butts wrap in foil, add a little coca-cola and let cook for a couple more hours. when the butts get to 185-195 pull, let rest 30-45 minutes pull and enjoy.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    Options
    Big'un,
    you can get the temp up to 300 to get them done faster. next time do the cook at a higher temp, 194 is too low, you want 225 at the grill level atleast. the dome temp would be at 250 and those picnics would be just about done now

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    onelegchef,[p]I think 185 is pretty low for pulled pork.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Thanks for the input. I thought that temp,194, was awful low. I read it on pg 53 3rd paragraph on link below. Not making excuses, But when the line read how difficult it is maintaining a 194 temp overnight....I just had to do it. Yes I know, its B-B-Q not E-G-O..LOL. Thanks for the help.

[ul][li]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/WiseOneRecipes.pdf[/ul]
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    Options
    Big'un,
    ive done that cook, thats a 22-24 hour cook for the picnic you have. there really is no reason to cook it that low. when i recomend those directions i always state that the dome should be kept at 250 degrees for the cook, a little higher towrds the end doesnt hurt it. those picnics will have more fat in them than a regular butt, but i like the flavor better from a slow cooked picnic.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    drbbq,
    Just got your new book today. I will look through it tonight. Good luck to you. Tom

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Bajatom,[p]Thanks!
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • Saucehog
    Saucehog Posts: 30
    Options
    fishlessman,
    What is a picnic?[p]Thanks,
    Saucehog