Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st pizza attempt......ehhhh

Options
toomsdpt
toomsdpt Posts: 141
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
basically fred up the egg and put the stone on to heat up with it. Put some corn meal on the stone so it would be easier to take pizza off when done. Cooked for about 12 mins at 550 degrees. Put some hickory wood in as well about 10 mins before I put pizza on stone. [p]Two things: first the pizza was burnt on the bottom, and second the pizza did not have much smoke flavor. I put what would amount to 2 chuncks of hickory in but did not get that smoke flavor I was looking for. I cant explain the bunrt bottom. The egg did reach 700 at one point so I waited about ten mins to get the temp lower to the desired 550. IDK if that had anything to do with it. Maybe a calibration check is in order

Comments

• toomsdpt
    toomsdpt Posts: 141
    Options
    toomsdpt,[p]bte..t reached 700 before i put the pizza on. I waited to the egg cooled to 550 before i put pzza on
  • Jackbythesea
    Jackbythesea Posts: 102
    Options
    toomsdpt,
    Did you have the pizza stone on the placesetter? With double ceramic and 550* mine never burns the bottom.
    Jack

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    toomsdpt,
    What kind of dough did you use? Home made? Pillsbury? I usually get lazy and cook pies from a local pizza joint, and I find that if I preheat my stone to 550 for 30 minutes, then 6-7 minutes is perfect. However, I've seen other people say they cook their pies at 450 for 20 minutes. I think it depends both on the type of dough and how much stuff is on top.[p]As for the smoke, you aren't really going to get too much smoke in the short time the pie is cooking. I too love smoke on my pizza, so what I do is toss in a healthy handful of chips at the same time I put the pie in the cooker. I know you wouldn't want billowing white smoke all over your ribs for 3 hours, but I think for 6-7 minutes, it's the only way to get significant smoke on the pie. The other option would be, of course, to cook longer at a lower temp, using chunks.[p]One other comment, fwiw, you really don't need to spread cornmeal on the stone. If you preheat the stone, pizza dough simply will not stick to the stone once the pie is done. I think it is one of the laws of nature, lol. I sprinkle some cornmeal on my peel to keep the pie from sticking to the peel. Some of the cornmeal makes its way onto the stone with the pie, so if you want some cornmeal on the stone, you should be getting plenty from the pie/peel when you add the pie to the cooker. (I use a wooden peel, by the way.)[p]Good luck!
    TNW

[ul][li]Pizza Hints and Tips[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • Buzz
    Buzz Posts: 63
    Options
    One way or another, your pizza stone was too hot.[p]I always put my pizza stone on top of a platesetter. If you only had the stone directly on the grill, that could have been it.[p]Also... you hit 700 deg before putting the pizza in. It takes a long time for the stone to equalize with the air temp. I let my egg run at about 450-500 for as long as I can before cooking. 30 minutes is minimum, but sometimes I go as long as an hour.[p]I tried using a peel, but it was always a challenge because I wanted to make 3 pizzas at a time. I switched to pizza screens. They are perfect. Really cheap, but makes the pizza so much easier to handle. I put the screen right on top of the stone.

[ul][li]pizza screens[/ul]
  • Unknown
    Options
    toomsdpt,we cook the pizza at 530 on top of the BGE pizza stone on top of the BGE plate setter legs down and never burn the bottom. We cook it until the cheese bubbles. We put hickory chunks soaked in water in the egg and get good smoke flavor better than we can buy at a place with a brick oven.

• icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    toomsdpt,[p]One thing most people don't realize is, your pizza burnt on the bottom because[p]Stone is to hot?
    Stone is to close to the heat source...
    cooked longer than you thought...
    Too much surgar/honey on dough...[p]And the most important...not enough water in dough...[p]I cook my pizzas with the top wide open and the bottom vent wide open...the hotter the better...[p]I use a dough with a high hydration so it doesn't but when I through the pizza on the egg and it is at 900 deg...[p]It just cooks in 2-3 mins...[p]