Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL Indirect Setup

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Quick question as I am still learning on my BGE.[p]For indirect setup is it...[from bottom to top][p]Proposed New setup:
Fire Box
Plate Setter
Fire Ring
Grate[p]Was Using:
Fire Box
Fire Ring
PLate Setter
Grate [p]When using the plate setter above the fire ring, I think my temp at grate level was much higher than my dome temp as the plate setter is only 1 inch or so from the grate. I think I was getting a lot more radiant heat from the place setter. [p]So I was wondering if taking out the fire ring and put the plate setter down lower was a better option. It also means that I am able to fit a drip pan on top of the plate setter. [p]The reason I am thinking my grate temp is higher is comparing my ET-73 therm with the dome temp. My ET-73 was anywhere from 30-50 higher than the dome temp.[p]BHD

Comments

• Good Eats
    Good Eats Posts: 136
    Options
    Big Hairy Dawg,[p]Not owning a XL myself but from reading the posts I believe that is how it is recommended you set up the XL ... I am sure some others will chime in.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Found this on the website! Guess that answers my question.[p]I will experiment and see if that regulates the grate temp a little better.[p]The Plate Setter for the XL is slightly different than the others. The XL Plate Setter has shorter legs to better fit the dome of the XL EGG. It can be used in the standard configuration or it can be inserted between the Fire Box and the Fire Ring to provide for more air flow if desired. [p]
  • BYC
    BYC Posts: 358
    Options
    Big Hairy Dawg,[p]I am running 2 xl's each utilizing the setup you have described. Results to follow. I have a third that I have running WITHOUT the fire ring but with an elevated rig from Tom (Sanbagger) and like that setup best of all. My suggestion to Atlanta was to make the fire ring half the height that it is now.