Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Timer: How do I do this chicken?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, so the BGE is finally together and now I am ready to fire it up for the first time. To keep the temps low, I am going to try a whole chicken on a vertical roaster with some breasts around the sides. So I thought I better check to see if I am doing this right. Guess you might say this is the chicken fixing the chicken!![p]So, I:
- Put load up the charcoal, light it, wait 10 or so minutes
- Put in the plate setter and close the lid.
- Then adjust the temp to around 325 until it settles there for thirty minutes or so
- Then put in the chciken for an 1 - 1.5 hours? Does that sound right?[p]Thanks for the help!!

Comments

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Options
    BHFG,[p]It appears you have most everything covered.[p]I would suggest instead of using a basic hour timeframe you use a instand read thermometer of some kind to know for sure when your bird is done to correct temp. Those breast you are doing on the side will be the first done and need to pulled off at 180-185 degrees. I'd start the breasts 10-15 minutes after the whole bird is cooking.[p]Just my opinion, happy 4th to you and yours.[p]-Smitty

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• hank
    hank Posts: 84
    Options
    Some suggestions for the lighting stage:

Get the coals well-lit, then close the dome but leave the bottom and top vents wide open. Don't leave the egg for long at this point. Keep your eye on the dome thermometer, and when it gets close to your desired temp (for chicken maybe 375?) shut the bottom and top vents until they are almost completely closed (maybe the width of a finger) and watch the thermometer. You want it to creep up slowly to temp, then you can work the daisy wheel on top to adjust. If it starts dropping, open things up again. Eventually, it will stabilize.

Put in the plate setter and grate. The temp will drop, but if you keep the vents in the same position, the Egg will return to temp soon. Chicken goes on when the temp doesn't change for 10 minutes or so.

It takes a little practice, but it's worth it.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Bald Headed Fat Guy,[p]Load charcoal, light, wait 25 mins, set temp at 375.
    Plate setter in whenever.
    Vertical chicken will be done in 1.5 hours.
    Side chicken sooner.[p]You need an instant read therometer, this will help.

• Unknown
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! Once I figured out that to get over 300 degrees I needed to open the cover of the daisy wheel, not just the vents, things went pretty good.[p]And the chiken was great!! Real juicy.[p]