Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I am sooooooooo proud!

Options
RAK
RAK Posts: 27
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Would you believe I finally figured out how to cook a Boston Butt? It has taken me a year of tinkering, (I know, I'm a slow learner) but today I finally managed to cook a 6 lb butt without having to tend it! I purposely started it early this morning, because the last time I tried this I ended up losing waaaaaaaaaay too much sleep. Yesterday, I covered the meat with JJ's rub and wrapped and put in fridge. This morning, with all due respect to Elder Ward, I dumped the last of my bag of lump in humpty and lit one cube in the center. I didn't distribute or mess with placing the charcoal. I put 2 fire bricks in flat and placed the meat in the v rack over a drip pan placed over the bricks. Stuck the Polder in and set the slider open about 1/4 inch (on a medium) and just cracked Daisy. Threw a handful of chips in and closed the lid. I didn't look for about 30 minutes, but it was holding at 225. An hour later 250. It has stayed there all day!!! This has NEVER happened before. I have made this way too hard. I would play and adjust and fiddle with everything moveable, and end up getting up in the middle of the night to restart charcoal. Is it supposed to be this easy, or am I just lucky today? Have I finally arrived? Can I play with the big boys now?

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Rak,
    You finally learnd the KISS system. Come play with us.

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Rak, I do that alla time (almost) nice..just ran a 1:30 p.m. to the next morning 9:30 meat take off. Lets see thats 20 hours..and then I left the top cap off by mistake, and 3 hours later even with the bottom slider clear shut, the BGE was perkin along at 260F degrees...all by itself...sheesh.
    Wild Eggs. Like JJ says...KISS it...!!
    C~W[p]

• I'M so proud.....I told you Rak!! The egg is easy! Much more forgiving than cast iron! And you can do it standing up! Congrats! Now if you can convert a good chile verde recipe for me...Hope all's well. Keep on Eggin'!