Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

This tastes like hot dogs

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I cooked a butt weekend before last. Someone made the comment that it had a slight smell and taste like a hot dog. Not exactly the the comment I was looking for. Now I have to admit that I noticed something, but it was faint. I had used Dizzy Dust for a rub and threw a few chunks of oak in for flavor. A few weeks before I had used Bad Byron's and had no chunks for smoke on another butt and noticed nothing like this. The person thought it was the rub, but I thought possibly it might have been the chunks.[p]Yesterday I did some large ribeyes with Raising the Steaks, just like the ones I did a couple of weeks ago that turned out perfect. But this time I used some Jack Daniels oak barrel chips. Lo and behold, it had that hot dog smell and taste to it. But much stronger since it likely collected on the surface. [p]Now, is it the wood I am using? The way I am doing it? I have eliminated the rub from having anything to do with it since I did the steaks once with Raising the Steaks and they turned out perfect, minus the smoke. But I gotta think, I have eaten a lot of Barbecue that is cooked with hard woods that doesn't taste like hot dogs.

Comments

• Don from NJ
    Options
    if you figure out what it is, please let me know, i'd actually like to duplicate the hot dog taste so i can get my 2.5 year old son to eat something new for a change!!! :-)

sorry to not be of help, but good luck! :evil:
  • Unknown
    Options
    Keith W.,[p]If you have been doing long, slow cooks -- Have you raised the dome temp to 550F and let the Egg sit for a few hours, to burn off the gunk on the inside -- like a self cleaning oven?[p]I baked bread without "cleaning/burning off" the Egg, and it was inedible.[p]~ B

• Frank (Atlanta)
    Options
    Broc in Council Bluffs,[p]Still learning the Egg; so I can learn - are you suggesting leaving the Egg at 550 for a few hours, or rather to get it to 550 and let it sit for a few hours?[p]I assume you mean leaving it at 550 for a few hrs to do the clean, but wanted to clarify.[p]Thanks!
    Frank

• Hustling Hare
    Options
    Frank (Atlanta),[p]No, don't do it for a several hours. Do it for 10 to 20 minutes to clean out the gunk. Hours would probably do in your gasket.
  • Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Options
    Frank (Atlanta),
    About every 6 months or so I run mine to 600-650 for 30 minutes after a cook and then the next day when it is cool take a ball of aluminum foil and dry scrub the insides. Being sure to throw in the grills and anything like a plate setter or the cast iron top to burn off the goo!

• Unknown
    Options
    Broc in Council Bluffs,[p]
    Yeah, I run it up over 550 all the time. I have had decent stuff in between the "hot dog" tasting cooks. I'm almost positive it is the oak lumps and chips that is making it taste the way it does. It just baffles me why it does.

• Frank (Atlanta)
    Options
    Hustling Hare and Richard -[p]Thanks for the clarification! [p]Frank

• Pdub
    Pdub Posts: 234
    Options
    Keith W.,
    If you cooked hot dogs and the fat ran down on to the lump. You cook be effectively smoking the food with hot dog fat. I did an apple crisp after I had done some burgers. Burger flavored apple crisp is not so good. :)[p]Paine

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Keith W.,
    KNowing that smell is realted to taste try this link...

[ul][li]Uh Oh.[/ul]