Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

July Fourth...

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
O.K. I have practiced on inexpensive cuts of meat for my fiancee and I and now I'm about to step up to P-O-R-K. I want to do a couple of racks-o-ribs (baby backs) and a butt. The guy at Ace, where I bought my LGE said to do the butt for roughly ten hrs on 200-250. I also read on here to do it about 2hrs for every lb of the butt. [p]So I am planning on getting up around seven on the fourth, and start the process. Cook the butt, and 2-2.5 hrs before dinner time put on the ribs. Does this sound right?[p]Do I cook them both on indirect? I only have one rib rack. Can I finish the butt on the cooking grate the last 2-2.5 hrs?[p]And lastly, what is 3-1-1 method for ribs?[p]I am eagerly excited and ready to show off for my dad and other guests... I appreciate any feedback.

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Egg Foo Youngun',[p]Give yourself a little extra time, if possible. Most butts get done at a rate of 2 hours per pound with a dome of 250. Some get done much faster. Some, and here's the problem, take even longer. They will be good eating well before they are done, just not the wonderful pulled-pork that results from a really well cooked butt. If you get done early, they can be held for many hours wrapped in foil wrapped in towels and stored in a "cooler." Alternatively, you can pull them when done, and leave the pullings in a slow cooker set on low with just a bit of added fluid (Coke classic works well.)[p]The baby backs will take about 4 hours. When you put them on, the temperature will drop somewhat, and add a bit more time for the butt to finish. 3-1-1 is a method for spare ribs. The ribs are cooked indirect for 3 hours. THen, placed in foil, meat side down in a little sweet fluid (usually apple juice) for one hour. Then, during the last hour, they are placed back on the grid, usually direct, and allowed to crisp back up, and perhaps be sauced at the end. Baby back can be done much the same, but the time intervals are more like 2-1-1.[p]gdenby
  • EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan and welcome aboard. You're getting into the BGE and that's a beautiful thing! Now it's time to go to www.nakedwhiz.com or WessB's site and start reading, reading and reading! These are a GREAT sites and will put you on the fast-track to becoming a great BGE chef! Time to do some homework! It's all worth it![p]Ed McLean....eddiemac
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• Vegas Slim
    Vegas Slim Posts: 166
    Options
    eddiemac, how many hours will a pork butt stay hot in a cooler? 4 or 5?
  • EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    Hmmm...Never kept one in a cooler before.....we use Cambro hot boxes....Why don't you do it and let us all know![p]All the best![p]Ed McLean....eddiemac
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• JCinNV
    JCinNV Posts: 141
    Options
    Vegas Slim, do you live in Las Vegas??, If so this time of year i take a cooler, open it up, tilt toward the sun and preheat it solar style, belive me it will get hot in their, and you can keep butts hot for Agood 4hrs, just make sure you use 3-4 towels, hth