Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby Backs: 3-1-1 or 1-3-1?

Options
Parrothead Marty
Parrothead Marty Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have 3 racks of baby backs to cook in the morning. Does anyone have a preference of 1-3-1 or
3-1-1?

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Parrothead Marty,
    I've never heard of 1-3-1 before, but just imagine 3 hours wrapped in foil would be mushy yucky results. Stick with the tried and true 3-1-1.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mary
    Mary Posts: 190
    Options
    RRP,
    OK, I'm new to the EGGsperience!! Can you explain 3-1-1?

• Unknown
    Options
    Parrothead Marty, I like 3 or 4 (unwrapped until they are done), then foil them, wrap in newspapers, towels, blanket, or whatever until it's time to eat. Never have found that a 3-1-1, 3-2-1, or any such combination, makes them any better.

• RRP
    Options
    Mary,
    essentially it's 3 hours indirect - your choice to flip or not - then 1 hour wrapped tightly in foil and back on the egg of course - then unwrap for another hour near the end you sauce if you want. Hence 3-1-1 term. It's not an exact thing as each set of ribs are slightly different, but it's a proven popular egg rib method.

• Unknown
    Options
    Parrothead Marty,[p]Funny enough I am doing three racks of baby backs right now - they are in the first "1" stage. I spritz with apple juice and drizzle with honey in the foil stage. I also cut the foil stage to about 45 minutes as I don't like them too tender.[p]I have tinkered with the times and more than an hour in foil and they get mushy and may even fall apart when you try to take them up. If nothing else you can extend the last portion of the cook to make sure they are good and done.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Parrothead Marty,
    When I first got my egg I would cook ribs using the 3-1-1 method. They came out great.
    Then one day I just put the ribs on a rack indirect over a drip pan, tossed in a fist size chunk of pecan wood and slow cooked at 250*. After 3 hours I opened the egg and spritzed with some apple cider vinger,water, honey and pineapple juice. Every 40 min. I spritzed again. After five and half hours I removed the ribs (no foil)and took out the plate setter got the egg temp up to 325* and put the ribs back on the grill, mopped with bbq sauce and went another 20 -30 min. until the looked perfect. Results were GREAT!
    Bottom line I no longer find it necessary to foil the ribs.

• Mary
    Mary Posts: 190
    Options
    RRP,
    Thanks!! I just finished (LITERALLY) my first attempt at ribs on my BGE!!!! Oh my Goodness!!! I didn't know about 3-1-1 but I jumped in anyway. I have read so much on the forum and other places online that I can't remember where all the info came from, but... [p]After Wise One gave me suggestions for temporary equipment, I made a trip to Lowes, where I found vertical chicken roasters (used as a foundation for my "platesetter"), I decided to chance using my Pampered Chef 9-inch round baking dish to difuse the heat. Once I made up my mind to do this,...[p]I fixed a rub I found on the forum (adjusted it some), rubbed them good and put them on at 325. I can't believe I was able to keep the temperature so close to that through the entire cook, once I got it stable. I sat beside the egg so I could watch! After cooking for about an hour and a half; I brushed them with honey (again direction from somewhere)and put them in a pan with apple juice, covered with foil, and continued at 325 for another hour and half. I finished them off with some bbq sauce (abour 45 minutes). They were awesome!!! Everything but the ingredients for the rub I did from memory. I have looked for a while, trying to find where I got the info. I haven't been lucky enough to find it yet!! When I do, I plan to put it in a safe place -- it is worth it's weight in gold!!![p]My husband is the griller in the family but he had issues with his boat today so I got to break in the grill! We warmed it up last night with some brats - just to get the feel. [p]We had unexpected company today, just as we were sitting down to eat. I am sure glad I had the large egg full!! Everyone was super complimentary![p]I think this is going to be addictive!! I couldn't have had such good luck the first time if it wasn't for all the help from folks on the forum.[p]Thanks to all!!!!! (I may just replace the usual griller at this house!)

• RRP
    Options
    Mary,
    hmmmm...that a new one! instead of 3-1-1 you went 1.5-1.5-.75 and at 325° degrees at that!!! I see where you said you took a little bit of advice here and there and I'm glad for you it worked out. If fact congratulaions! BTW I think most people shoot for 250° if you follow the 3-1-1 sometime, buy whatever worked for you is terrific!!!