Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

brisket

Options
Metalhead
Metalhead Posts: 668
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
okay here goes...[p]4 llb flat w/some fat cap[p]fat cap down[p]indirect w/guru at 200 grid until 190 internal[p]should this work? my last brisket got thrown in the trash[p]what type of wood? I got cherrypeach,hickory,maple I just don't know which to use.[p]Jan

Comments

• KevinH
    KevinH Posts: 165
    Options
    Metalhead,[p]I like cherry wood. If you are going to cook at only 200 degrees grid level, it will take a long time to finish and you might dry it out. 200 is just too close to 190. I would recommend that after the brisket exits the plateau, you should ramp the temperature up to the 250-275 range. Otherwise, it should work fine.
  • Metalhead
    Metalhead Posts: 668
    Options
    KevinH,
    what about a grid temp of 225? Is that a good compromise?[p]I cooked 1 other and I cooked it at 250 and it was awful...don't remember what temp I cooked it to but it was awful. I just don't want to muck this one up.[p]Jan

• KevinH
    KevinH Posts: 165
    Options
    Metalhead,[p]Grid temp of ~225 is what I use.[p]Some people wrap the brisket in foil after it finished the plateau stage. It finishes more quickly and steams a bit in the foil, which makes it more tender. The bark isn't as crunchy, but the flavor isn't hurt. You could try that.[p]Some people claim that you need a choice brisket to make tender BBQ brisket. Maybe your last brisket was select? Another theory is that some briskets aren't fork tender at 190, but will be at a higher temp. You could cook a little longer if it doesn't seem to be tender.[p]Another trick is to wrap in foil & towels and hold in a small cooler for 30-60 minutes after cooking. The meat becomes more tender as it rests.[p]Good luck!
    Kevin

• onelegchef
    onelegchef Posts: 119
    Options
    Metalhead,
    I would use mesquite,second choice hickory. Ping Mollyshark, she cooks a great brisket.
    Good Luck
    Bobby-FTW,Tx