Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

steaks

Options
Brian
Brian Posts: 73
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am doing seven ribeyes on the egg. I usually follow the following schedule as recommened in the egg bok - 3 minutes seared on each side about 650 degrees and 4 minutes of roasting with all dampers shut. That typically is for 2-3 steaks. Shoudl I expect more time for each phase when cooking 7 ribeyes at once?

Comments

• Good Eats
    Good Eats Posts: 136
    Options
    Brian,[p]This is the only recipe you will ever need for steaks.[p]www.nakedwhiz.com/trexsteak.htm

• Weekend Warrior
    Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Brian, Had exactly the same menu planned for Father's Day except I started early in the day with a pie, then stuffed tomatoes, then baked potatoes, then was going to T-Rex the steaks. I actually had 6 very large NY strips. Everything went dandy until I cranked up the egg to start the T-Rex. Grill at about 650. On went the steaks. They were near room temperature when I put them on, but they covered so much of the egg's surface that they effectively cut off the airflow and the dome temperature plummeted. I ended up not T-Rex-ing at all, but limped through until I finally pulled them off after about 15 minutes. They were still better than most I had ever cooked before on my Weber gasser, but because the egg's high/searing temps rely on a good airflow from bottom to top, my first attempt at a T-Rex steak must be considered a failure. The lesson: make sure to leave plenty of room between steaks for air circulation while grilling/searing at high temps. If your ribeyes are large, you may want to do them in two separate cooks keeping the first ones comfortably warm until the second batch is done. Hope this helps, Mark
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Brian,
    7 steaks are the perfect amout to make a smile on the grate of my XL :)[p]Weekend Warrior's advice is very good for the large.
    I would batch them for sure.
    Sear and rest in two batches and then finish them together at 350 to your desired taste.
    Darian

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas