Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Ping Celtic Wolf

Spring HenSpring Hen Posts: 1,563
edited 4:58AM in EggHead Forum
Hi Pete....when you do your famous dutch oven cooking for something like a pot roast - what size oven do you use? Or, shoud I say - what is the largest size that fits in the egg but still allows the heat to rise?
Spring "Cooking lots of stuff in a pot" Hen

Judy
Co-Proprietor and Madam of The Chicken Ranch
Spring, Texas USA

Comments

• Celtic WolfCeltic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Spring Hen,[p] My 9qts camp dutch ovens fit fine in my XL's, but because of the legs I use the plate setter and not grate.[p] 14" (9qts) should work fine in the large too without a grate and sitting on the plate setter.

• fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 21,049
    Spring Hen,
    i use the #12 deep dutch oven with the legs siting on a pizza stone, make sure to get the deep style, ive cooked up to 12 pound chuck pot roasts in it. the roasts sits above the liquid and still needs to be turned once during the cook, but a nice layer of crunch developes on the top of the roast that you dont want to miss out on.

• Spring HenSpring Hen Posts: 1,563
    Celtic Wolf,
    I knew it! Spring Chicken and I were "discussing" the size. I only have a 6 qt and I just couldn't get all my goodies in it comfortably. Hey Chickie..if you are reading this - my birthday is right around the corner :-)
    Thanks, Pete.

Judy
    Spring, Texas USA
    fishlessman,
    Thanks for the info. I knew I needed a larger oven. I think a trip to Gander Mountain is in order for Spring Chicken. Hope to meet you someday soon....
    Judy

Judy
    Spring, Texas USA
  • Spring ChickenSpring Chicken Posts: 10,187
    Spring Hen,
    I'm not here right now.[p]Spring "Color Me Gone" Chicken
    Somewhere Near Spring Texas USA

Spring Chicken,
    That's okay....you can read this later.....when you get back home from nowhere...love ya...
    Spring "soon to be birthday receiver of gifts" Hen

Judy
    Spring, Texas USA
    Spring Chicken,[p]It's OK Leroy we have you covered[p]When you get back click here[p]Celtic "Always willing to help Spring Hen" Wolf[p]
    MY HERO!!!!
    Spring "waiting patiently" Hen

Judy
    Spring, Texas USA
  • PdubPdub Posts: 234
    Spring Hen,
    I have fit my lodge number ten(7qt?) in the small to do beans. The beans came out great, dome temp didn't seem valid though.

• SkyRiderSkyRider Posts: 41
    Spring Hen,
    FYI: Lodge is an excellent, American made cast iron product, but you can buy others much cheaper, usually as much as 1/2 or more, @ ACADEMY in HOU.. They have both Lodge & brand X (foreign) I have a collection of both...frankly, cast iron is cast iron and $$ is $$![p]howell

• Spring ChickenSpring Chicken Posts: 10,187
    Celtic Wolf,
    I'm back from wherever I was and I'm pretty sure I'm here.[p]I clicked and it told me all I need to know unless I find myself somewhere else.[p]Spring "Up A Tree Without A Paddle" Chicken

Spring Chicken,[p] She who rules the rooster must be kept happy :)[p]
    Celtic Wolf,
    I love the way you think.....

Judy
    Spring, Texas USA