Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggtable progress

Options
duckegg
duckegg Posts: 267
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Eggtable-1.jpg
<p />This thing is getting heavy I hope the casters, rated @160 lbs are strong enough to hold it when the egg gets in. Very apprehnsive about getting the egg up and in. [p]That is the future door over on the left, going to hold off on that till I get this thing up and running.

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    duckegg,
    Personally I dont think 160# casters are gonna hold up...the egg itself is around 140#...then you add the weight of the cart itself, not to mention whatever you have stored in it......Now would be the best time to upgrade them if you decide to...[p]Wess

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    duckegg,
    sorry but 160 rated casters won't get it - a large BGE itself weighs 140 pounds and I'm sure your wood plus any eggcessories you plan to store will kick it even higher. If I were you I'd switch to at least 5" diameter wheels mounted on a steel axle. Besides with the cracks between your deck planks casters will catch.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • hank
    hank Posts: 84
    Options
    I agree with WessB here. I think you might consider an upgrade on those casters before you drop in the Egg. As to dropping in the Egg, if the dome and hinge are off (which I strongly recommend!) I think you'll find the empty Egg base easily manageable by two people.
  • icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    duckegg,[p]Are the casters rated at 160 each or total?
  • RRP
    Options
    WessB,
    geeezzzzzzzzzz there must be a delayed posting - I checked before I sent my "identical" response and there had not been one. Oh well, make my opinion a confirmation one then! LOL

• duckegg
    Options
    icemncmth,
    160 each

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    duckegg,
    probably fine with the castors, thats 320 pound capacity each side of the table. probably arent going to roll it far anyways after you set it up, its looking good

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • duckegg
    Options
    RRP,
    I may have to doo that. I am just using that old deck to build this arc, its final resting place will be on pavers.

• icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    duckegg,[p]I would say you are fine....unless you roll the thing around all the time..but if you are like me..my table stays in the same place most of the time...
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    duckegg,
    I think I see Titebond III glue. That's good glue and I'm using it to build a table for the mini.
    Nice touch with the stone inlay!
    Clay

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    duckegg,[p]Nice looking design! Is that a stainless shield behind the Egg location? I like the foresight in the vertical storage bin - I have at least six grids for my two Eggs and its always a nuisance when they are piled on top of each other. What's the inlay made of? And I presume that's not water soluble white glue in the bottle!
  • Unknown
    Options
    duckegg,[p]I also just built a table for my XL egg. In order to lift up and in, I removed the fire ring so I could hang on from the inside. My main problem was having something to hold on to while sliding it in. By grabbing from the inside, [ hand down through top and then holding on to bottom vent hole] I was able to get a firm grip while a buddy held from the top. We were able to support the weight and slide it in. [p]I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer so it took a couple of minutes to figure this out. By removing the enter pieces, it also made it lighter and easier to handle. [p]Good luck and the table is looking really nice![p]BHD
  • RRP
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Mike, I think I see where I went wrong in assuming 160 rated casters wouldn't cut it so I stand to take my whipping. OTOH so I don't go astray in the future are you then saying if he had 160# casters on all 4 legs they could hold an even weight distribution of 640 pounds? In further looking at the picture plus now knowing he plans to place his table on a paver patio I still would get rid of those small plastic casters as my experience in my workshop is that they don't take much abuse at all.

• duckegg
    Options
    Big Hairy Dawg,
    Did you leave the lid on or remove that too?

• duckegg
    Options
    Haggis,
    That is aluminum, I had a piece left over and lined the bottom of the grid rack with it. The inlay is a big piece of flagstone that I had laying around colecting ants. The glue is waterproof. Most of the material used has been collecting dust down in my basement for years. I have just enough of that Cedar to finish the door, I hope.

• RRP
    Options
    duckegg,
    PotLifter to the rescue...a mere $25 purchase to make any and all future egg movements a snap though with the XL-BGE weighing 200# you would need to lighten it a tad by removal of the ring and box. It works like a champ!

[ul][li]PotLifter - 5th item down[/ul]
  • fishlessman
    Options
    RRP,
    640 pounds even distribution, his cart will have more weight on the left hand side, but the casters are fine weight wise. i would want atleast a 4 inch caster, he didnt say what size he has, but bigger is better for rolling over bumps, 5 or 6 inch evn better

fukahwee maine

• duckegg
    Options
    RRP,
    that sounds like the way to go, thanks!

• duckegg
    Options
    fishlessman,
    That is what I bought first, they proved to be too tall and I reluctantly returned them. I won't be moving this puppy much anyway.

• fishlessman
    Options
    duckegg,
    if you put bigger wheels with a fixed axle drilled thru the legs on the egg side and smaller swivels on the other side it would roll well enogh by lifting the light end over the bumps. just a thought, but once you place it in the yard its probably going to stay there like you said. looks nice, i gotta do something with mine someday

fukahwee maine

• Unknown
    Options
    duckegg,[p]I left the lid on. I was not certain if the lid has to be "tweaked" to fit properly as the place I bought it assembled and delivered. In other words, I did not want to mess it up. The lid would indeed reduce the weight considerably. [p]My buddy held on from the back holding the hinge while I held on from the front. [through the inside as described earlier. ] [p]First, we placed the egg on the other side of the table so it could bear most of the weight and kinda slid it into the hole. It really was not that bad. [p]BHD[p]
    BHD

• Unknown
    Options
    duckegg,[p]I put two ropes under the egg (criss crossed) and tied a knot in the top. Putting a 2x4 through the rope on the top allowed me and my son to easily pick the large. No unassembly required![p]jake
  • SmokinGuitarPlayer
    Options
    fishlessman,
    we gotta find some BALLOON TIRES for these things and get it over with!!

Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa. 
  • Unknown
    Options
    duckegg, I wheel rared at 300# and that is just good for the cart. I move it around 1/4 of a block for cooking

• Flashback Bob
    Options
    duckegg,
    That's a beautiful looking table![p]Don't forget to put a stone under the Egg! The aluminum was a good idea were it's all closed in. If you're putting a door on in front of the Egg, you want to make sure you leave some room at the countertop cutout to allow air movement.