Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Filet Mignon Grilling - Need Help

Options
Saucehog
Saucehog Posts: 30
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I tried the 2 minute-flip, 2 minute-flip, 2 minute drill and the steaks came off pretty rare. I was cooking at over 600F. Steaks were about avg size in thickness.[p]What is the recommended sequence for a medium cooked steak. I went overkill when I put them back onthe grill.[p]I'm trying to get used to the direct heat cooking on the egg.[p]Thanks,
Saucehog

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Saucehog,
    In my experience anything over 3/4" thick need longer than 2 min-2 min- then a 2 minute with all the vents closed. Thick steaks need more time with all the vents closed. Keep the 2 min flip sear though. It's worked for me but what do I know.

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    kcstrip1.jpg
    <p />Saucehog,
    Get a thermopen for all your cooking. Direct, indirect.
    No guessng.[p]Mike

• scole
    scole Posts: 29
    Options
    Saucehog,[p]Use an instant read thermometer to check the temp. Take it off at 140* for medium. Using a thermometer will give you much more consistant cooks.
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    Saucehog,[p]The two minute drill is great for the initial sear. You should then let the filets rest at a much lower temp. [p]Specifically, I'd do two minutes, rotate for two minutes, flip for two minutes, and rotate for two minutes. I'd probably give it a little on the edges to make it look nice. Then I'd remove to a 200 degree oven for ten minutes. [p]Filets should be rare - just not uncooked. They don't have much fat in them and overcooking will only make them yucky.[p]To be honest, I prefer doing the sear on a griddle rather than on the Egg grid.
  • Trouble
    Trouble Posts: 276
    Options
    Saucehog,
    I do mine differently than others. I do not like the seriously browned (seared) outside. I cook filet mignon at about 450 degrees, direct on the main grid. Cook for 5 minutes on the first side, then start checking with a thermapen after 3 minutes on the second side. It usually takes about 5 more minutes, but the temp climbs quickly and an extra minute can take them past the mark. I pull them at 130 to 135 for medium rare, so go to 140 as suggested below. Good luck![p]Joyce